1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Van der Waal's equation of state

1. Nov 30, 2004 #1
    Help me on this one - Van der Waal's equation of state

suggest ways of reconciling Van der Waal's equation of state with experimental observations

Last edited: Nov 30, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2004 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Do you know what Van der Waal's equation is? What are the experimental observations and why should Van der Waal's equation need "reconciling".

In other words, show us what you know about this question so we can help you!

4. Dec 1, 2004 #3
    Vander Waal's equation is given as (P+A/v2)(v-b) = RT which is an approximate theoretical treatment. The molecules are treated as hard attracting spheres and the term a/v2 arises from the intermoleculer attractions. Both a/v2 and b are first approximations only and were used to give 1st order derivations from the ideal gas law.
    As compared to experimantal results, the VDW equation of state comes short.I would like to suggestions of how to overcome these short comings so as to be able to reconcile the equation with the experimental results.

5. Dec 1, 2004 #4
    Vander Waal's equation is given as (P+A/v2)(v-b) = RT which is an approximate theoretical treatment. The molecules are treated as hard attracting spheres and the term a/v2 arises from the intermoleculer attractions. Both a/v2 and b are first approximations only and were used to give 1st order derivations from the ideal gas law. PV=NRT
    As compared to experimantal results, the VDW equation of state comes short.I would like to suggestions of how to overcome these short comings so as to be able to reconcile the equation with the experimental results.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?