1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Van der waals equation question

1. Mar 12, 2010 #1
    Hi everyone,

Struggling with the following question - maths and physics never been my strongest subjects. Thanks in advance

1. An equation of state that has been used to model the behaviour of a fixed amount of a real gas is:
    (P+a/v2)(v-b)=ZT
    In the equation Z, a, b are constants, and P represents pressure, V = volume, T = temp. The constant Z depends on the amount of gas.
    Consider what the dimensions of a and b are in terms of the fundamental quantities of mass (M), length (l), and time (t).

2. Q1: The dimensions of b are:
    a) L3
    b) L6
    c) M.L-1.T-2
    d) M-1.L.T2

Q2: The dimensions of a are:
    a) L6
    b) M.L5.T-2
    c) M.L-1.T-2
    d) M.L-5.T-1

Q3: The value of the constant Z could be expressed in terms of the unit:
    a) W
    b) W.N.s-1
    c) N.J.K-1
    d) J.K-1

3. According to std van der Waal's equantion Z is equivalent of R, therefore Q3 = D, not sure about the calculations for Q1 or Q2

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2010 #2

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'll help you with this one since it is the easiest. Without just giving you the answer I will explain by analogy. The portion of the equation that contains b is (v-b), right? You are subtracting b from the volume.

Now here is the hint/analogy... Can you subtract gallons from miles? Gallons from degrees C? No. What must the units of b... err be?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook