1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Van Der-Waals forces.

1. Dec 11, 2009 #1

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The van der waals forces describe the forces between neutral atoms, separated by a distance much larger than the typical size of a single atom, as we saw in class.
    Therefore we describe the interaction between the atoms by: [tex]W=W_{dd}+W_{dq}+W_{qd}+W_{qq}+...[/tex] i.e W is the energy sum which has contributions from dipole-dipole, quadrapule-dipole, quadrapule-quadrapule and so.
    In class we were shown that the first order correction due to dipole dipole interaction [tex]W_{dd}[/tex] vanishes, and we solved this with second order perturbation theory.
    But this is actually justified if first order correction of all other contriubtions to W vanish as well. Show that this is the case here.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that I need to find the quadrapule tensor Q for two atoms, but not sure how does this look like? i.e I know the general equation for the potential of a quadrapule and the euqation for the quadrapule itself, but don't know how to write Q explictly.
    I am using Cohen-Tanoudji notation and his coverage of Vand Der Waals forces, in Vol 2, page 1130 complement Cx1.

Thanks in advance.
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted