1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Van der Waals Gas

1. Jan 30, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi, I have the following task:
    43921_adfda.JPG

Translated into English, that means:

" For Cpm and Cvm of gases the following relationship is true: (1)
    a) Show with the relationship (1), that for an ideal gas Cpm - Cvm = R is valid
    b) Deduce from equation (1) and the tripple product rule Cpm - Cvm for a Van der Waals gas (dependent on Vm, T and also R, a and b)"

I managed to solve a) but I don't know how to solve b)
    Can someone help me?

2. Relevant equations
    Tripple product rule: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_product_rule
    Van der Waals equation: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van-der-Waals-Gleichung

3. The attempt at a solution
    see above

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2016 #2
    Show us what you did so far, please. That way we can better help you.

Chet

4. Jan 30, 2016 #3
    For a) I used p*Vm=RT

then I solved the equation once for p and once for Vm, and did the partial derivatives, which yielded T*(R/p)*(R/Vm) = Cpm- Cvm = (T*R2)/(p*Vm)

and then I said p*Vm=R*T and i reduced the fraction, which yielded Cpm- Cvm = R

But I don't understand how to start in the second task, could you help me?

5. Jan 30, 2016 #4
    I would start out by evaluating each of the partial derivatives in Eqn. 1 and see what I get. If that doesn't give me what I'm looking for, I would start thinking about ways in which the triple product rule might get me to where I want to be. Maybe you're going to have to "play with the math" at little.

Chet

6. Jan 30, 2016 #5
    Did I understand you correctly that I should do the same as in a), but this time not with the ideal gas equation, but with the van der waals equation?

7. Jan 30, 2016 #6
    Sure. The problem statement indicates that the final answer should include all the parameters except for P. To me, this means that the first partial derivative in Eqn. 1 might be troublesome. See how it all plays out. Start by evaluating the two partial derivatives in equation 1 based on the van der waals equation.

8. Jan 30, 2016 #7
    Ok, thanks a lot! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted