Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vancouver Plane Crash

1. Oct 27, 2011 #1

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2011 #2
    Luckily you didn't use that flight to go anywhere. Sad as it is, but the odds of getting hurt is a lot bigger with road traffic.

In The Netherlands it's prohibited to attempt an emergency landing on a road, because it would also endanger the -always dense- traffic.

4. Oct 28, 2011 #3

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Same in the UK, but these guys made quite a "creative" interpretation of "not landing on a road..." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kegworth_air_disaster

In the picture on the wiki page, there are two separate parallel multi-lane roads with central reservations (and one of the central reservations has a set of runway landing lights installed on it.)

If they had crashed a few meters shorter, they would have blocked 6 lanes of traffic travelling at 70 - 80 mph on the UK's main North-South motorway :bugeye:

The root cause was a mechanical failure, followed by the flight crew wrongly diagnosing whcih engine had failed. (Not a good call, on a two-engine plane).

5. Oct 28, 2011 #4

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In some places in Alaska, the road is the runway. The pilot makes a low pass to let everyone know he's coming in, circles around and lands.

Actually, I'm not sure if it's like that still - it was when I lived there.

6. Oct 28, 2011 #5

Yes I studied that mishap. It was a combination of very poor cockpit ergonomics, ie in the layout of engine instruments and aircrew coordination aka confusion.

It exactly the kind of mishap that made me make an unexpected support case for single pilot operation in this thread. Then only one pilot had to figure out what the affected engine was.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook