Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vandermonde matrix

1. Jul 9, 2009 #1
    In polynomial interpolation:

I see some connection between:

The Vandermonde matrix, the monomial basis and the fact that 'the monomial basis is not a good basis because it's components are not very orthogonal'.

Now, I still don't really grasp sufficiently the reason why exactly a Vandermonde matrix is often ill-conditioned. Also, I don't feel I understand why an orthogonal basis in general leads to better conditioned problems, how self-evident it may look from a certain point of view.

Any insights?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 9, 2009 #2
    Here is a rapid insight,
    Obtain, the vector below, at each cases
    [itex]\left[\begin{array}{cc}1 &0\\0 &1\end{array}\right]\left(\begin{array}{c}x\\y\end{array}\right)= \left(\begin{array}{c}3\\5\end{array}\right)[/itex]

[itex]\left[\begin{array}{cc}1 &-1\\1 &1\end{array}\right]\left(\begin{array}{c}x\\y\end{array}\right)= \left(\begin{array}{c}3\\5\end{array}\right)[/itex]

Please repeat it for the vector [tex]\left(\begin{array}{c}3.1\\5\end{array}\right)[/tex]

You can relate orthogonality to being able to isolate arbitrary effects to one subset of orthogonal elements. Usually, complicated things are just for simplicity...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook