1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vandermondes Identity

1. Jul 28, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Is the identity C(m, a) + C(m,a+1) = C(m+1,a+1) (where C is the binomial coefficient function) a special case of Vandermonde's identity:

[tex] \sum_{k=0}^r \binom{m}{r-k} * \binom{n}{k} = \binom{m+n}{r} [/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

n (or m) must equal 1 but r must also equal 1 because you only sum over two terms. But r obviously cannot be 1 since it is a + 1 on the right side. I am thinking that there some other forms of Vandermonde's identity which it may be a special case of but not this one? This form does not even make sense when r is greater than n and we need r to be general and n to be 1 I think...

Last edited: Jul 28, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2007 #2
    A late reply

You possibly end up with [tex] \binom{m+1}{a+1} = \sum_{k=0}^{a+1}
    \binom{m}{a+1-k} * \binom{1}{k} [/tex]

I am not sure but , I guess [tex] \binom{1}{k} =0[/tex] if k>1 by the definition of combination
    Because the number of ways picking e.g. 3 elements from a set with 1 element must be zero.
    So then you can get what you want only summing two terms as you said
    n

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?