Maxwell's Eqn: Vanishing Laplacian of 1/r Explained

• Thread starter Master J
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laplacian
In summary, the Laplacian of 1/r vanishes everywhere except at r=0 in spherical coordinates, which is useful for deriving one of Maxwell's Equations. This is because the derivatives with respect to theta and phi are 0 when u=1/r.
Master J
In my derivation of one of Maxwell's Equations, I needed the fact that the Laplacian of 1/r vanishes everywhere except at r=0, where r is the norm of a radial vector.

I cannot see how this is? I like to be solid in the math I use for a derivation, so this would really help if someone could clear this up for me. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Putting the Laplacian in spherical coordinates, we have
[tex]\nabla^2 u= \frac{1}{r^2}\frac{\partial }{\partial r}\left(r^2\frac{\partial u}{\partial r}\right)+ \frac{1}{r^2 sin^2(\phi)}\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial\theta^2}+ \frac{1}{r^2 sin(\phi)}\frac{\partial }{\partial\phi}\left(sin(\phi)\frac{\partial u}{\partial \phi}\right)[/tex].
(See http://mathworld.wolfram.com/SphericalCoordinates.html)

With u= 1/r, the derivatives with respect to [itex]\theta[/itex] and [itex]\phi[/itex] will be 0, of course.

1. What are Maxwell's equations?

Maxwell's equations are a set of four fundamental equations that describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. They were developed by James Clerk Maxwell in the 19th century and are a cornerstone of classical electromagnetism.

2. What is the significance of the vanishing Laplacian in Maxwell's equations?

The vanishing Laplacian in Maxwell's equations refers to the fact that the Laplacian operator, which is a mathematical tool used to describe the variation of a quantity in space, is equal to zero for the electric and magnetic fields. This means that the fields do not have any sources or sinks and are described by a set of differential equations.

3. What does the 1/r term represent in Maxwell's equations?

The 1/r term in Maxwell's equations represents the inverse-square law, which describes the relationship between the strength of a field and the distance from its source. In the case of electric and magnetic fields, this term represents the decrease in field strength as distance from the source increases.

4. How does the vanishing Laplacian explain the behavior of electric and magnetic fields?

The vanishing Laplacian in Maxwell's equations explains that electric and magnetic fields are conservative in nature, meaning that their values depend only on their current state and not on their past history. This allows us to predict the behavior of these fields and their interactions with charged particles.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the vanishing Laplacian in Maxwell's equations?

Yes, the vanishing Laplacian in Maxwell's equations has numerous applications in everyday life. For example, it is used in the design and functioning of electronic devices, such as computers and cell phones. It also plays a crucial role in understanding and predicting the behavior of electromagnetic waves, such as radio waves and light, which have countless applications in communication, medicine, and technology.