Exploring the Physics of a Mass-Reduced Cube

In summary, an object that weighs 1kg rests on a rigid, level surface. 99% of its mass disappears suddenly, causing it to shoot up.
martix
First of all I apologize if silly speculative discussions like this don't belong here. With that disclaimer out of the way, here's a fun thought experiment:

Let's say an object, a cube that weighs 1kg rests on a rigid, level surface. And all of a sudden 99% of its mass disappears.
What happens?
Well, my thinking is, the cube is in equilibrium, so an equal amount of up and down force acts on it. Then 99% of the down force disappears in an instant and the cube is shot up, as if it had just bounced off.
Is that anywhere near reasonable?
What would the upwards force be? 0.99*9.8 Newtons? How far up would it go?

Physics news on Phys.org
"What do the laws of physics predict if we violate the laws?"
Why would the force upwards not disappear in the same moment?

To find some physical situation: if you split the block horizontally in two parts and rapidly remove the upper part, the lower block expands a bit (because pressure from above reduces), which can in theory let it jump up a bit like a spring. Won't lead to an actual jump with most materials, but with rubber and similar things it should be possible. The achievable height depends on material parameters and the way the block is split.

:) That's why I said silly.
Oh... that does indeed seem similar mechanically.
Sadly my physical intuition fails me here, that's why I was asking.

Am I correct in interpreting your point as, if the object(and ground) are non-deformable(i.e. not springy), nothing would happen to the lower piece?

The only reason a surface pushes up on an object resting on it is that the object, through gravitation force, presses down on the object. If part or all of the mass disappears, the downward force and, therefore the upward force, also disappears. It would be exactly the same as if the smaller portion that is left, alone, were sitting on the surface.

What is the purpose of exploring the physics of a mass-reduced cube?

The purpose of exploring the physics of a mass-reduced cube is to understand the fundamental principles of physics, specifically those related to mass, weight, and acceleration. By studying how a cube behaves when its mass is reduced, we can gain insights into the effects of mass on an object's motion and how it interacts with other forces in its environment.

How is the mass of a cube reduced for this experiment?

The mass of a cube can be reduced by using materials with a lower density, such as foam or a hollow structure. This decreases the amount of mass in the cube while still maintaining its shape and size.

What is the relationship between mass and acceleration in a mass-reduced cube?

According to Newton's second law of motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the force applied to it and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that a mass-reduced cube will experience a greater acceleration for the same amount of force compared to a cube with a higher mass.

What other factors may affect the behavior of a mass-reduced cube?

In addition to mass, other factors that may affect the behavior of a mass-reduced cube include the surface it is moving on, the force applied to it, and the presence of other external forces such as friction or air resistance. These factors can impact the speed, direction, and stability of the cube's motion.

What real-world applications can be derived from exploring the physics of a mass-reduced cube?

The knowledge gained from exploring the physics of a mass-reduced cube can be applied in various industries, such as aerospace, transportation, and sports. For example, understanding the relationship between mass and acceleration can help engineers design more efficient and lightweight vehicles, while athletes can use this knowledge to improve their performance in sports that involve quick and agile movements.