Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Vanishing Wavefunction

1. Sep 28, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If <x> and <p> are the expectation values of x and p formed with the wave-function of a one-dimensional system, show that the expectation value of x and p formed with the wave-function vanishes. The wavefunction is:

[tex]\phi(x)=exp(-\frac{i}{h}\langle p\rangle x)\psi(x+\langle x\rangle)[/tex]

Basically I don't know how to start this problem. Do I plug in the integral forms of the expectation values into the exponential and distribute the psi over x and [tex]\langle x\rangle[/tex]?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2010 #2

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You left out some important text, but I found the problem set with a google search. [tex]\langle x\rangle, \langle p\rangle[/tex] are computed with the wavefunction [tex]\psi(x)[/tex], i.e.

[tex] \langle x\rangle = \int x \psi^*(x) \psi(x) \, dx, \ldots[/tex]

You are asked to compute expectation values with the wavefunction [tex]\phi(x)[/tex]:

[tex] \langle x\rangle_\phi = \int x \phi^*(x) \phi(x) \, dx, \ldots[/tex]

These expressions can be reduced to expectation values for certain quantities in the wavefunction [tex]\psi(x)[/tex]. You don't have to do any integrals explicity, just some algebra and derivatives.

4. Sep 29, 2010 #3
    I've set it up the way you suggested, and the exponential terms computing [tex]\langle x \rangle[/tex] cancel. However there is a [tex]\langle x \rangle[/tex] term in [tex]\psi(x+\langle x \rangle)[/tex]. Is this not a discrepancy to have the value you are trying to calculate inside the equation for calculating its value?

Specifically,

[tex]\int{ x \psi^{*}(x+\langle x \rangle) \psi(x+\langle x \rangle)\,dx}[/tex]

5. Sep 29, 2010 #4

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well [tex]\langle x \rangle[/tex] is just a number (it came out of another integral over x, so it doesn't depend on x). There's still something you have to do to this integral though.

6. Sep 29, 2010 #5
    If [tex]\psi(x+\langle x \rangle)[/tex] is distributable (meaning [tex]f(x+y)=f(x)+f(y)[/tex]) then I come up with the following:

[tex]\int{ x \psi^{*}(x+\langle x \rangle) \psi(x+\langle x \rangle)\,dx}[/tex]
    [tex]\int{ x[ (\psi^{*}x+\psi^{*}\langle x \rangle)( \psi x+\psi\langle x \rangle)\,dx}[/tex]
    [tex]\int{ (\psi^{*}\psi x^{3}+2\psi^{*}\psi x^{2}\langle x \rangle+\psi^{*}\psi x\langle x \rangle^{2})\,dx}[/tex]
    [tex]\langle x^{3}\rangle +2\langle x^{2}\langle x \rangle\rangle + \langle x\langle x\rangle^{2}\rangle[/tex]

...which doesn't make any sense to me. Also the "distributable" assumption I made does not work for exponentials, since [tex]f(x+y)=f(x)f(y)[/tex] for exponential functions.

7. Sep 29, 2010 #6

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yeah wavefunctions will almost never have that property since they're always related to exponential functions. Think about how you can convert this to an expectation value in [tex]\psi(x)[/tex] by making a substitution in the integration variable.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook