Why are there still bubbles after the pump?

In summary, the conversation discusses issues with cavitation in a pipe system with a centrifugal pump. The main question is why there are still bubbles passing through the pump despite the high pressure at the location. Some possible reasons mentioned include temperature increase in the pump, vane pass, and aspiration. The conversation also mentions the possibility of dissolved gases coming out of solution and causing bubbles in the flow. The "backward fan" refers to the backwards facing impeller in the centrifugal pump.
Guybob
Hi everyone,
Got a question I'm trying to solve here. It is for an experiment I'm running at achool.

I got a pipe system with a centrifugal pump. There is cavitation in front of the pump due to the pressure falling below the water Vapor pressure. When the water flow enters to the backwards fan centrifugal pump, the Vapor/bubbles should collapse due to the high pressure at that location. But there are a few bubbles that passes through the pump. Why is this the case and what is happening?

Thanks for viewing!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Best guesses: Temperature increase in the pump caused by low flow conditions (throttled discharge). Vane pass (impeller tip passing too close to the cutwater). Aspiration, basically leaking gaskets and/or shaft seals.

Describe the "backward fan" please.

It might be possible that some dissolved gases are coming out of solution due to the pressure drop (and/or temperature increase) within the pump. This would then show up as bubbles in the flow.

On the downstream side that occurs if the flow is throttled so much that the fluid heats up in the pump. First in my list above. Note that the original post says the bubbles are downstream from the pump.

What causes vapor/bubbles to form after pumping?

Vapor or bubbles form after pumping due to a decrease in pressure. When a liquid is pumped, the pressure inside the pump decreases, causing the liquid to boil and create vapor or bubbles.

Is it normal to see vapor/bubbles after pumping?

Yes, it is normal to see vapor or bubbles after pumping. As mentioned before, this is a result of the decrease in pressure inside the pump and is a common occurrence.

Can vapor/bubbles affect the performance of the pump?

In most cases, vapor or bubbles after pumping do not affect the performance of the pump. However, if the pump is designed to handle only liquid and not vapor, then the presence of vapor may affect its performance.

How can I prevent vapor/bubbles from forming after pumping?

In order to prevent vapor or bubbles from forming after pumping, you can try increasing the pressure inside the pump or using a pump that is designed to handle both liquid and vapor.

Are there any safety concerns associated with vapor/bubbles after pumping?

There may be safety concerns associated with vapor or bubbles after pumping if the liquid being pumped is hazardous or if the pump is not designed to handle vapor. It is important to follow proper safety protocols and use pumps that are suitable for the specific liquid being pumped.