How Do I Analyze a Vapor Power Cycle for My Thermodynamics Project?

In summary, the conversation discusses a mini project for a thermodynamics2 class that is meant to prepare for an upcoming exam. The speaker is seeking help with the analysis portion of the project and has shared their powerplant design. The content of the project involves a discussion on the location of the Open Feed Heater and suggestions for improvement. Reference to a case study of a large power plant is also mentioned, along with suggestions for selecting the operating pressure and temperature for the project. The speaker wishes the project success.
BrodyA.A
Hey guys, I've been given this mini project for my thermodynamics2 class. It's supposed to be a really good example of how the upcoming exam will be. The downside is i don't really know what values I should pick. I really need help with strictly the analysis part of this project. If anyone could help me and explain the analysis step by step i would greatly appreciate at. The powerplant design that I've decided to use will also be posted. Also, sorry in advance, i know it's a long problem. But i really want a good understanding of this so i can do well on my exam

Attachments

• TP1.jpg
    TP1.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 365
  • TP2.jpg
    TP2.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 374
Physics news on Phys.org
BrodyA.A said:
Hey guys, I've been given this mini project for my thermodynamics2 class. It's supposed to be a really good example of how the upcoming exam will be. The downside is i don't really know what values I should pick. I really need help with strictly the analysis part of this project. If anyone could help me and explain the analysis step by step i would greatly appreciate at. The powerplant design that I've decided to use will also be posted. Also, sorry in advance, i know it's a long problem. But i really want a good understanding of this so i can do well on my exam
I'm not a power plant engineer, but I have some experience with marine steam plants.

I looked at your preliminary plant layout, and I have one suggestion. The Open Feed Heater is located in the wrong sequence after the condensate leaves the condenser.
The last heater in your chain, just before the feed water is sent into the boiler, should be an open deaerating feed heater. You are going to need a pretty hefty feed pump between the de-aerator and the steam drum, in order to raise the pressure of the feed sufficiently for it to be forced into the drum. Making the first two feed heaters after the feed leaves the condenser of the closed type would be normal practice.

Apparently, large power plants use two groups of feed heaters: a series of low pressure FHs after the condenser, a de-aerator, then the HP feed pump, followed by a series of high pressure FHs before the feed enters the steam drum.

A case study of a large power plant (2600 MW) can be found here:

https://www.ohio.edu/mechanical/thermo/Applied/Chapt.7_11/SteamPlant/GavinCaseStudy.html

As to selecting the operating pressure and temperature for your modest 115 MW output, I suggest you research similar plants to see what conditions and performance they have, to see if one of these can meet the Project Requirements.

This looks like an interesting project. Good Luck!

What is a vapor power cycle?

A vapor power cycle is a thermodynamic process that converts heat energy into mechanical work, typically used to generate electricity. It involves the use of a working fluid (such as water) that is heated to produce steam, which then drives a turbine to generate power.

What are the components of a vapor power cycle?

The main components of a vapor power cycle include a boiler, turbine, condenser, and pump. The boiler is where the working fluid is heated to produce steam. The steam then passes through the turbine, which converts the steam's energy into mechanical work. The condenser then cools the steam back into liquid form, and the pump returns the liquid to the boiler to continue the cycle.

What is the purpose of a vapor power cycle?

The main purpose of a vapor power cycle is to generate electricity. By using heat energy to produce steam and drive a turbine, mechanical work is converted into electrical energy that can be used to power homes, buildings, and other facilities.

What are the advantages of using a vapor power cycle?

One advantage of using a vapor power cycle is its high efficiency. It is a closed system, meaning the working fluid is reused, and the energy conversion process is continuous. Additionally, vapor power cycles can use a variety of fuel sources, making them versatile and adaptable to different energy needs.

What are some common applications of vapor power cycles?

Vapor power cycles are commonly used in power plants to generate electricity. They can also be used in industrial processes, such as in the production of steel and paper. In addition, vapor power cycles are utilized in heating and cooling systems, such as in refrigerators and air conditioners.