Understanding the True Equality for Var[X+Y] in Random Variables

• Thread starter jetoso
  • Start date
In summary, my simulation professor says that the equality Var[X+Y] = Var[X]+Var[Y]+2Cov[X,Y] holds true for any two random variables. However, if the covariance between the variables is negative, the sum will have less variance than if the variables were independent.
jetoso
My simulation professor says the following equality is true:
Let X and Y be two random variables, then
Var[X + Y] = Var[X] + Var[Y] - 2Cov[X,Y], where Cov[X,Y] = E[XY]-E[X]E[Y].

I solved this equality and I am still having the following result:
Var[X+Y] = Var[X]+Var[Y]+2Cov[X,Y].

I sent my work to my professor, but he says my work is not correct. Could somebody tell me why? I mean, for which case it is not true?

Var[X+Y] = E[((X+Y) - (E[X]+E[Y]))^2], since Var[Z] = E[(Z-E[Z])^2] is the definition of the variance for a random variable Z.

Physics news on Phys.org
You're right and the professor is wrong, unless he meant Var[X-Y].

mathman said:
You're right and the professor is wrong, unless he meant Var[X-Y].

Thanks, but I am afraid that my professor clearly stated Var[X+Y], otherwise we would have the minus sign for Cov[X,Y].

My simulation professor says the following equality is true:
Let X and Y be two random variables, then
Var[X + Y] = Var[X] + Var[Y] - 2Cov[X,Y], where Cov[X,Y] = E[XY]-E[X]E[Y].

I solved this equality and I am still having the following result:
Var[X+Y] = Var[X]+Var[Y]+2Cov[X,Y].

I sent my work to my professor, but he says my work is not correct. Could somebody tell me why? I mean, for which case it is not true?

Intuitively, a negative covariance between the two variables seems like it would result in a sum with less variance than if the variables were independent (zero covariance). Because the variables are "moving in different directions" it is more challenging for the observations of the sum to stray from the combined mean (i.e. less total variance with negative covariance), which agrees with your solution. If you're wrong, then I am stumped also.

This reminds me of portfolio optimization from Investments class, but unfortunately my notes are at work.

Last edited:
A simple example is X=Y. Var(X+Y)=Var(2X)=4Var(X). The professor's answers would end up as Var(X+Y)=0, since Cov(X,Y)=Var(X) in this case.

At the end of the day, our professor found his error, just because a sign. Thank you all.

1. What is the meaning of "Var[X+Y] equality true"?

Var[X+Y] equality true refers to the equality of the variance of the sum of two random variables X and Y being equal to the sum of their individual variances.

2. How is Var[X+Y] equality true calculated?

Var[X+Y] equality true is calculated by taking the square of the standard deviation of the sum of X and Y, which is then compared to the sum of the individual variances of X and Y.

3. Why is Var[X+Y] equality true important in science?

Var[X+Y] equality true is important in science because it helps us understand the relationship between two random variables and their combined variance. It can also be used in statistical analysis and making predictions.

4. What are the assumptions for Var[X+Y] equality true to hold?

The assumptions for Var[X+Y] equality true to hold are that X and Y are independent, identically distributed, and have a finite variance. Additionally, the sum of X and Y must also be a random variable with a finite variance.

5. Can Var[X+Y] equality true be applied to more than two random variables?

Yes, Var[X+Y] equality true can be extended to more than two random variables. In this case, it is known as the generalized variance formula and takes into account the covariances between all the variables.