Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Variable diameter circle

1. Mar 5, 2014 #1
    I am interested to see if there is a way of creating a metal ring which has a variable diameter, the only way I imagine that this can be done is using segments which come together to form a circle, once pulled away the diameter changes however, the problem I face is that when the segments are pulled out, they leave a gap as shown here:
    http://gyazo.com/bd38ce382a16a9f6a1739c42ad30d404
    To fill this gap, additional segments would need to be manufactured and would defeat the purpose of having a variable diameter.

Is something like this even possible, if not a perfect circle, is there a way of doing this to get a varying geometry which is very similar to a circle? I am interested to see any ideas at all that anyone may have about this even if they are nothing to do with segment please share.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2014 #2

phinds

Insights Author
    Gold Member

google "camera iris"

4. Mar 6, 2014 #3
    That was exactly what I was looking for, Thank you.

Just out of interest, can this be reversed? I mean rather than having a circle form on the inside is it possible to form the circle on the outside so that as the segments move it expands outwards?

5. Mar 6, 2014 #4

phinds

Insights Author
    Gold Member

Never heard of one like that but seems to me it could be made. The "circle" would probably be more like a polygon, but the more segments used the less that would be the case.

6. Mar 8, 2014 #5

Baluncore

Science Advisor

There are many unusual approximate solutions to such a problem.
    Maybe if you could identify the application it would be worth posting other solutions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted