1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Variable mass dust particle

1. Apr 19, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

At time t=0 a dust particle of mass m_0 starts to fall from rest through a cloud. Its mass grows exponentially with the distance fallen, so that after falling through a distance x its mass is m_0exp[αx] where α is constant. Show that at time t the velocity of the particle is given by:

v=sqrt(g/α)tanh(t(sqrt(αg))

2. Relevant equations

Variable mass equation:

mg= mv'+vm'

3. The attempt at a solution

Using the variable mass equation i've fiddled around with it and gotten out a differential equation in terms of v, which is:

dv/dt=-αv^2+g

Which after filling in the answer im looking for is the correct equation. However solving it properly by hand seems harder as its a non-linear ODE. I was just wondering is there any other way of going about this problem or if not, can anyone give me a tip on how to solve the ODE properly.

Thank you for your time

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2014 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello, Matt_993. Welcome to PF!

Did you mistype this? What does the symbol y stand for?

Once you get the equation written in terms of just 2 variables, you might try the technique of separation of variables.

4. Apr 19, 2014 #3
    Yea the y should've been a v, I've changed it. But I can't seem to be able to separate the variables in the equation because of g, is there another way?

5. Apr 19, 2014 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Divide both sides of the equation by the entire right hand side.

6. Apr 19, 2014 #5
    How very stupid of me, can't believe I missed that.

That works, thanks for the help :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted