1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Variable mass problems

1. Apr 29, 2014 #1
    I'm a little confused about these.

Sometimes I have seen solutions where F=d(mv)/dt=mdv/dt+vdm/dt is used and solved as a differential equation. An example is this:
    A water drap falls through a cloud. It has initial mass m which increases at a constant rate km as it falls. Show that it's equation of motion is given by
    kv+(1+kt)dv/dt=g(1+kt)
    with v it's velocity and g the gravitational acceleration.

Sometimes however this does not seem to be applicable and we must work from first principles, equation a differential change in momentum dp to a differential impulse Fdt. An example is deriving the rocket equation, or a hot air balloon dropping sand.

My questions are:
    How do I know which method to use?
    Is the second method one that works for all cases whilst the first is just a special case?
    If so when can I use the first method?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2014 #2
    First principles always work. Use that.

4. Apr 29, 2014 #3
    Ok but it would be nice to understand why the first method works in some cases if anybody could explain that...

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted