Variable pressure

I need to introduce variable pressure into a system. I was planning on using piston pumps which if i run at low rpms would result in controlled fluctuating pressures. Am i doing something wrong?

russ_watters

Mentor
We need an awful lot more information about the system and its requirements. Do you have a diagram? What is the purpose? What are the flow rates and pressures? What design constraints do you have? Why are you using a piston pump?

I am working on an experiment where i would like to see how the system responds to pressure fluctuations.

I tried using a stepper motor and a cam arrangement to create pulses in the pipe carrying water to the system. However, I can't get higher frequencies of pressure oscillations.

I have flow rates in the range of 0.01 to 0.09 ml / min. I have a syringe pump to take care of that. However, I am unable to figure out how to introduce pressure oscillations into the system.

That is when i thought a piston pump working at low rpm may do the trick. The pressure need not be fixed, but should be consistent.

Hope this info is more adequate.

Thanks

D

drankin

I am working on an experiment where i would like to see how the system responds to pressure fluctuations.

I tried using a stepper motor and a cam arrangement to create pulses in the pipe carrying water to the system. However, I can't get higher frequencies of pressure oscillations.

I have flow rates in the range of 0.01 to 0.09 ml / min. I have a syringe pump to take care of that. However, I am unable to figure out how to introduce pressure oscillations into the system.

That is when i thought a piston pump working at low rpm may do the trick. The pressure need not be fixed, but should be consistent.

Hope this info is more adequate.

Thanks
What kind of pressures are we talking? Is this a water or oil system?

Q_Goest

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
What frequency of pulsation do you need? Can you create the pulsations using a valve? All you would need is a valve capable of acting fast enough, then open/close the valve quickly to get a pressure pulse.