Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Variable selection CART and SVM?

1. Apr 17, 2012 #1
    Hey, i am taking an applied statistics course and have a question related to an analysis of a data set.
    I am observing a great degree of positive correlation among the variables, and as expected I find that some of the variables are non significant when i apply general linear regression.
    I also want to try methods like CART and SVM for this classification response. I am wondering, when i fit these models, is it necessary to include all the variables? How can I find out what to include in CART and SVM?
    If i use only the significant variables that i found trough backward selection in the GLM analysis, I see that the method has a smaller error and MRS than if i include all of the variables.
    Is there any method for doing this variable selection method formally for CART and SVM?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted