1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Variable substitution problem

1. Nov 10, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [tex]\int\int\int _E\(x^2y}\;dV[/tex]

Where E is the solid bounded by [tex]x^2/a^2+y^2/b^2+z^2/c^2=1[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

variable substitution x=au, y=bv, z=cw.

3. The attempt at a solution

I found the jacobian (abc) and I substituted my variables but I can't find the limits of integration. The only equation I have for the limits is [tex]u^2+v^2+w^2\leq1[/tex]. I don't know how to find the limits of integration for u, v, and w individually.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Now switch to spherical coordinates in u,v,w.

4. Nov 10, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

First decide on the order in which you want do integrate:
    [tex]\int dudvdw[/tex]?

Fine. Project the figure on to the vw plane: v2+ w2= 1. Then project that onto the w line: the segment from w= -1 to 1. The limits on the outer "dw" integral have to be numbers. In order to cover the entire figure, w must vary from -1 to 1. For each w, then v must vary from [itex]-\sqrt{1- w^2}[/itex] to [itex]\sqrt{1- w^2}[/itex]. Finally, for each v and w, u varies from [itex]-\sqrt{1- v^2- w^2}[/itex] to [itex]\sqrt{1- v^2- w^2}[/itex]. Those are the limits of integration.

Of course, because u2+ v2+ w2= 1 is a sphere in uvw-space, spherical coordinates, as Dick suggested, are simplest. The limits of integration would be exactly the same as if it were x2+ y2+ z2= 1.

5. Nov 10, 2008 #4
    oh, ok thanks i didn't even think about switching to polor coordinates.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?