Flu Symptoms Varying Throughout Day: How to Explain It?

• Medical
  • Thread starter Mentallic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Variable
In summary, colds can feel more intense during certain times of the day due to a combination of factors, including tiredness, a decrease in immune response, and post-nasal drip. When we are awake and active, our bodies are working to minimize symptoms, but at night, our body's focus shifts to repairing damage and fighting off the infection. This can lead to a perception of feeling worse in the morning, but it does not necessarily mean that the illness is more severe.
Mentallic
Homework Helper
How could it be possible that colds are more intense during certain times of the day? For example, right now I feel terrible in the morning, but I feel nearly fine during the day.
This does leave me in an awkward predicament when I tell my parents I'm too sick for school, but then later on in the day I seem fine, only to be sick again the next morning.

Biology news on Phys.org
Mentallic said:
How could it be possible that colds are more intense during certain times of the day? For example, right now I feel terrible in the morning, but I feel nearly fine during the day.
This does leave me in an awkward predicament when I tell my parents I'm too sick for school, but then later on in the day I seem fine, only to be sick again the next morning.

It would be more accurate to say that symptoms of illness tend (ESPECIALLY cold-flu) to intensify during that period when we would normally be tired. The reason... is that you're tired! Sleep plays a (not fully understood) deep role in the efficacy of our immune response, so when you're getting ready for bed.

It's also the case that people are less alert during certain period (3AM being notable in military history), but it's not JUST perception; if you have a fever, generally it will be higher at night. In the morning, your body temp is still usually depressed from sleep, but,

1.) You're waking up sick. Never underestimate the psychosomatic roel of illness, or percetion of symptoms.

2.) Resources that would otherwise have been used to repair damage incurred during the day, is partially re-routed to fuel your immune response.

On a less exciting note, being supine (on your back) often results in post-nasal drip, which can make your throat quite sore, for a while...
During the day, you are likely hydrating, and taking some form of medication (to ease symptoms). Then, there is just the fact that infections follow a GENERALLY similar pattern, but some wax and wane depending on how healthy you were upon becoming ill.

There are reasons related to metabolism as well... you produce more urine during the day, etc...

In short, when you're up, around, and awake... your body is working to minimize symtpoms, as are you. When not... not, and some of the aspects of sleep (hormones relating to, again, production of urine, and digestion, etc...) are not conducive to FEELING better. This should be distinguished from a lack of improvement, or a true remitting-relapsing fever.

1. Why do flu symptoms vary throughout the day?

Flu symptoms, including fever, body aches, and fatigue, can vary throughout the day due to the body's natural circadian rhythm. This rhythm controls the body's temperature, hormone levels, and immune system response, which can all impact the severity of flu symptoms.

2. How can I explain the fluctuation of my flu symptoms to my doctor?

It is important to keep track of your symptoms and note any patterns or changes throughout the day. This can help your doctor understand the severity of your symptoms and determine the best course of treatment.

3. Are there certain times of day when flu symptoms are typically worse?

Everyone's body is different, so there is no specific time of day when flu symptoms are worse for everyone. However, some people may experience more severe symptoms in the morning due to the body's natural increase in cortisol levels, which can worsen inflammation and pain.

4. Can changing my daily routine impact how my flu symptoms vary?

Yes, certain lifestyle factors such as stress levels, sleep patterns, and diet can all impact how flu symptoms vary throughout the day. For example, not getting enough rest or eating a poor diet can weaken the immune system and make symptoms worse.

5. What can I do to alleviate the fluctuation of my flu symptoms throughout the day?

To help alleviate the fluctuation of flu symptoms, it is important to practice good self-care. This includes getting enough rest, staying hydrated, and eating a healthy diet. Over-the-counter medications can also help with symptoms such as fever and body aches, but it is important to consult with a doctor before taking any medication.