What are the variables used in laser equations?

In summary, the person is looking for a resource that lists all symbols and their meanings for laser-related questions, as they have trouble understanding some questions due to not knowing which symbol they represent. They have searched for such a resource but have been unsuccessful and are now considering creating their own list. They have also received some suggestions for how to approach their problem.
Paul Black

Homework Statement

hello
i need a pdf or a homepage where i can get all symbols (variables ) for Laser questions
for example
λ=Wavelength
v=frequency
ω=Beam waist
Q= quality factor
etc.

i have a problem understanding some questions because i don't know which symbol they represent
i hope you can help me

thank you very very much

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
I would be surprised if there is a single site with all the symbols you will ever encounter.
Particularly, some symbols may have different meanings in different contexts.

Perhaps you will be better served just to show us the problem and ask about the symbols you don't know about?

You can usually work out what some of the symbols should be by relating the equations to the description of the situation.

Thank you for your answer
I can't post every question i have because i have many questions

I hope i could find something that can help me out of this problem
Today i searched one hour to find the equation for Coherence time and Coherence length and finally found it in my books

Anyway i have to make my own equation list.

As it seems there isn't any homepage to solve my problem

Certainly no single page ... the main trouble is that your needs are too vague.

yes you are right. what I am searching for is nowhere available
anyway
thank you for your help

What are the variables used in laser equations?

The most common variables used in laser equations are:

• Wavelength (λ): The distance between two consecutive peaks of a wave, typically measured in meters.
  • Power (P): The rate at which energy is transferred or converted, typically measured in watts.
  • Gain (g): The amplification of light within a medium, typically measured in inverse meters.
  • Refraction index (n): The measure of how much light bends when passing through a medium, typically unitless.
  • Intensity (I): The amount of power per unit area, typically measured in watts per square meter.

How are these variables related in laser equations?

In laser equations, these variables are related through mathematical formulas based on the properties of light and the medium in which it travels. For example, the intensity (I) of a laser beam is directly proportional to the power (P) and inversely proportional to the area (A) of the beam, so the equation is written as I = P/A. The specific relationship between variables may vary depending on the specific equation being used.

What are some common applications of laser equations?

Laser equations are used in a variety of applications, including medical treatments, communications, and scientific research. Some common examples include laser eye surgery, barcode scanners, and laser spectroscopy.

How do variables affect the performance of a laser?

The values of variables used in laser equations can greatly impact the performance of a laser. For example, the wavelength of a laser determines the color of the light emitted, while the power and intensity affect the brightness and focus of the beam. The gain and refraction index also play important roles in determining the efficiency and stability of the laser.

What are some limitations of laser equations?

While laser equations can be highly accurate and useful for predicting the behavior of a laser, they do have some limitations. These equations are based on simplified models and assumptions, and may not always accurately predict the behavior of a real-world laser. Additionally, external factors such as temperature and external light sources can also impact the performance of a laser, making it difficult to accurately predict its behavior using equations alone.