Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Variant of Maxwell's demon

1. Apr 4, 2009 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

Hi,
    I've not covered yet the Second's Law of thermodynamics so I don't understand it well. A friend of mine talked to me about Maxwell's demon and now I have the following question :
    Imagine a planet such that its escape velocity is about Earth's one, but without any atmosphere. Now imagine I have a composed gas (hydrogen+argon) and I free it at ground level. After some time all the hydrogen would leave out the planet and the argon would remain on the planet. So without any intervention the 2 gases are separated. How has the entropy increased?
    Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2009 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

There's no conflict here- both gases expand, and the entropy of the system (planet+ gases) is proportional to the volume occupied.

4. Apr 4, 2009 #3

fluidistic

Gold Member

Ah ok!
    I thought that by separating the 2 gases the entropy would have decreased. Anyway I'll be soon studying the second law of thermodynamics so I guess I will understand what is entropy and understand better the example I gave here.
    Thank you for the answer. (so there's no ambiguity, no paradox nor anything wrong with the situation described above).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook