1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Variation of a quantity

1. Jul 4, 2014 #1

ChrisVer

Gold Member

Suppose I have such an equation:
    [itex]A= f(B)[/itex]
    so [itex]A[/itex] is a function of [itex]B[/itex].

Can I really use the fact that a variation of [itex]A[/itex] is like taking the differential of it?
    [itex] \delta A= dA [/itex]

so that:

[itex] \delta A = \frac{d f(B)}{dB} \delta B[/itex]
    ?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 4, 2014 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Superficially it looks OK. You need to look at the definition involved for variation.

4. Jul 4, 2014 #3

ChrisVer

Gold Member

the reason I ask is because I have a confusion with one more way to see variation.
    Suppose I vary [itex]B[/itex], so that [itex]A[/itex] is going to be varied too:

[itex] A+ \delta A = f(B+\delta B) [/itex]
    And suppose [itex] f(x) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{x}} [/itex]

Then:

[itex] A( 1+ \frac{\delta A}{A}) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{B+\delta B}}= \frac{1}{\sqrt{B}} \frac{1}{\sqrt{1+\frac{\delta B}{B}}}≈ A -A \frac{1}{2} \frac{\delta B}{B}[/itex]

[itex] \frac{\delta A}{A}= - \frac{1}{2} \frac{\delta B}{B} [/itex]

This result would imply that:
    [itex] \frac{d f(B)}{dB} = -\frac{1}{2}\frac{A}{B} [/itex]

in my OP...

with a simple check, we have:

[itex] \frac{d (1/ \sqrt{B})}{dB} = -\frac{1}{2} \frac{1}{B^{3/2}}[/itex]

This method works fine for such an easy function as [itex]f(x)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{x}} [/itex]
    Now suppose I have instead:
    [itex] f(x)= \frac{1}{\sqrt{x}} + c [/itex]

with [itex]c[/itex] a constant. The same method won't work because I will end up with something like:

[itex] \frac{\delta A}{A} = - \frac{1}{A} \frac{1}{2} \frac{1}{\sqrt{B}} \frac{\delta B}{B} [/itex]

unfortunately now [itex] \frac{1}{A}[/itex] can't be cancelled with the [itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{x}}[/itex] ... Only maybe, up to some error, if I consider [itex]c[/itex] very small... The derivative however will kill [itex]c[/itex] and give some other result (the same as for without [itex]c[/itex] which I think is more physical- isn't it? a constant shouldn't destroy the variations)..

Last edited: Jul 4, 2014
  5. Jul 4, 2014 #4

ChrisVer

Gold Member

I think I found my misconception... the variation is still independent of [itex]c[/itex]... it's 1/A which gives me that dependence. So there's no way to escape from c rather than neglecting it :) that's fine...i guess

6. Jul 4, 2014 #5

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You can basically use Taylor expansion to show your equality.

If ##A=f(B)## and we add a small quantity ##\delta B## to ##B## then by Taylor's theorem we will have:

$$A'\equiv A+\delta A=f(B+\delta B)=f(B)+\frac{df}{dB}\delta B+\mathcal{O}(\delta B^2)$$

This gives as the limit ##\delta B\rightarrow 0##:

$$\delta A=\frac{df}{dB}\delta B$$

Of course, this is usually much more interesting when we consider functionals rather than simple functions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook