Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Variation of density

1. Mar 17, 2009 #1
    how does cosmology explain that the creation of the universe was not a perfect uniform event in all directions type thing. I mean if you took a chunk of the universe and looked at it the density of matter wouldn't be uniform some planets are bigger than others and so forth. Maybe im looking at it the wrong way but the initial creation would have to be pretty bizzare i think to produce what exists.

And does anti matter repel matter? since matter attracts matter I thought anti matter would attract anti matter and anti matter and matter would repel.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2009 #2

Chalnoth

Science Advisor

Cosmic inflation smooths out the universe, while also providing tiny deviations from absolute uniformity that seed structure formation.

You mean gravitationally? So far it appears that it attracts just like matter attracts.

4. Mar 18, 2009 #3
    so in other words its still under heavy research seeing as I just saw another article on dark energy and expansion in SciAm. Is dark energy the solution to what is causing the expansion?

5. Mar 18, 2009 #4

Chalnoth

Science Advisor

Dark energy is a name given to a class of proposed causes of the recent accelerated expansion. We don't yet know which, if any, of the proposed solutions is accurate.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook