Variation of geometrical quantities under infinitesimal deformation

In summary, the variation of the second fundamental form, the Gauss curvature, and the mean curvature are all affected by the change in the metric tensor, as expressed in the given formulas. However, understanding this topic may require a deeper understanding of abstract concepts.
andresB
This question is about 2-d surfaces embedded inR3It's easy to find information on how the metric tensor changes when $$x_{\mu}\rightarrow x_{\mu}+\varepsilon\xi(x)$$

So, what about the variation of the second fundamental form, the Gauss and the mean curvature? how they change?

I found some works on the topic, but, alas, they are expressed very abstractly, so for now they are beyond my understanding.

Physics news on Phys.org
The variation of the second fundamental form is given by the formula $$\delta L_{ij} = \frac{\partial \xi^k}{\partial x^i}L_{kj} + \frac{\partial \xi^k}{\partial x^j}L_{ik} + \xi^k \frac{\partial L_{ij}}{\partial x^k}.$$The variation of the Gauss curvature is given by the formula $$\delta K = \xi^i \frac{\partial K}{\partial x^i} + \frac{1}{2}\left( \frac{\partial^2 \xi^k}{\partial x^i \partial x^j} - \frac{\partial^2 \xi^k}{\partial x^j \partial x^i}\right)L_{ik}L_{jk}.$$The variation of the mean curvature is given by the following formula $$\delta H = \xi^i \frac{\partial H}{\partial x^i} + \frac{1}{2}\left(\frac{\partial^2 \xi^k}{\partial x^i \partial x^j} - \frac{\partial^2 \xi^k}{\partial x^j \partial x^i}\right)L_{ik}L_{jk} + \frac{\partial \xi^k}{\partial x^i}L_{ik} + \frac{\partial \xi^k}{\partial x^j}L_{jk}.$$

1. What is meant by infinitesimal deformation?

Infinitesimal deformation refers to a small and gradual change in the shape or size of an object. It is considered to be a continuous and smooth process, where the changes are so small that they can be approximated by linear equations.

2. How does infinitesimal deformation affect geometrical quantities?

Infinitesimal deformation can cause changes in geometrical quantities such as length, area, and volume. These changes are typically proportional to the amount of deformation and can be calculated using mathematical equations.

3. Can infinitesimal deformation be observed in real-world scenarios?

Yes, infinitesimal deformation can be observed in many real-world scenarios, such as the stretching of a rubber band or the bending of a metal wire. These changes may be imperceptible to the naked eye, but they can be measured and analyzed using mathematical models.

4. What is the significance of studying the variation of geometrical quantities under infinitesimal deformation?

Studying the variation of geometrical quantities under infinitesimal deformation is important in fields such as engineering and physics. It allows us to understand the behavior of materials under small changes and make predictions about their performance in different situations.

5. Are there any limitations to using infinitesimal deformation in calculations?

Yes, there are limitations to using infinitesimal deformation in calculations. It is only applicable for small and gradual changes, and may not accurately represent the behavior of materials under large deformations. Additionally, it assumes that the material is homogeneous and isotropic, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios.