What is the general solution for a differential equation with a secant term?

In summary, the problem is that there is no general solution to the given differential equation. The person attempting to solve the problem using variation of parameters found a particular solution, and demonstrated that the general solution is -3sec(3t)tan(3t).
alane1994
I was given the problem,

"Find the general solution of the given differential equation."
\(y^{\prime\prime}+9y=9\sec^2(3t)\)

My work as follows, please let me know if this is correct and where to go from here. I have hit a roadblock of sorts.

\(y^{\prime\prime}+9y=9\sec^2(3t)\)

\(y^{\prime\prime}+9y=0\\
m^2+9=0\\
m=3\\
y=\cos(3t)+\sin(3t)\)

So,
\(y=c_1\cos(3t)+c_2\sin(3t)\)

Where,
\(y_1=\cos(3t)\\
y_2=\sin(3t)\)

\(Y(t)=-y_1\int \dfrac{y_2g(t)}{W(y_1,y_2)}dt+y_2\int \dfrac{y_1g(t)}{W(y_1,y_2)}\)

\(y_1=\cos(3t)~~~y_1^{\prime}=-3\sin(3t)\)
\(y_2=\sin(3t)~~~y_2^{\prime}=3\cos(3t)\)

\(W=y_1y_2^{\prime}-y_1^{\prime}y_2\)Look ok so far? Any thoughts as to how I should proceed?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I want to demonstrate the method I was taught, which avoids the use of Wronskians. Normally I would not provide a full solution, but in this case, I thought it might be instructive to do so since I am using an alternate method.

If I were to solve this problem using variation of parameters, I would proceed as follows:

We are given:

\(\displaystyle y''+9y=9\sec^2(3t)\)

(a) Find a fundamental solution set \(\displaystyle \{y_1(t),y_2(t)\}\) for the corresponding homogeneous equation:

\(\displaystyle y''+9y=0\)

The characteristic roots are:

\(\displaystyle r=\pm3i\)

Hence:

\(\displaystyle \{y_1(t),y_2(t)\}=\{\cos(3t),\sin(3t)\}\)

(b) Take as the particular solution:

\(\displaystyle y_p(t)=v_1(t)\cos(3t)+v_2(t)\sin(3t)\)

(c) Determine $v_1(t)$ and $v_2(t)$ by solving the system:

\(\displaystyle \cos(3t)v_1'+\sin(3t)v_2'=0\)

\(\displaystyle -\sin(3t)v_1'+\cos(3t)v_2'=3\sec^2(3t)\)

We find from the first equation:

\(\displaystyle v_1'=-\tan(3t)v_2'\)

And so by substitution into the second equation, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle -\sin(3t)\left(-\tan(3t)v_2' \right)+\cos(3t)v_2'=3\sec^2(3t)\)

\(\displaystyle v_2'=3\sec(3t)\)

and so:

\(\displaystyle v_1'=-3\sec(3t)\tan(3t)\)

Integrating, we find:

\(\displaystyle v_1(t)=-\sec(3t)\)

\(\displaystyle v_2(t)=\ln\left|\sec(3t)+\tan(3t) \right|\)

And so the particular solution is:

\(\displaystyle y_p(t)=\sin(3t)\ln\left|\sec(3t)+\tan(3t) \right|-1\)

Thus, by the principle of superposition, we find the general solution to the ODE is:

\(\displaystyle y(t)=y_h(t)+y_p(t)=c_1\cos(3t)+c_2\sin(3t)+\sin(3t)\ln\left|\sec(3t)+\tan(3t) \right|-1\)

Wow, thank you so much! Your way does seem a little (read: a lot) easier than the way I was trying to go.
Makes more sense to me as well!

What is the concept of "Variation of Parameters"?

"Variation of Parameters" is a method used in solving non-homogeneous linear differential equations. It involves finding a particular solution by varying the parameters in the general solution of the associated homogeneous equation.

When is "Variation of Parameters" used?

"Variation of Parameters" is used when solving non-homogeneous linear differential equations, which cannot be solved using traditional methods such as separation of variables or integrating factors.

What is the process of using "Variation of Parameters" to solve a differential equation?

The process of using "Variation of Parameters" involves the following steps:

1. Find the general solution of the associated homogeneous differential equation.
  2. Find the Wronskian of the homogeneous differential equation.
  3. Find the particular solution by varying the parameters in the general solution of the homogeneous equation.
  4. Combine the general solution and the particular solution to get the complete solution of the non-homogeneous differential equation.

What are the limitations of "Variation of Parameters"?

One limitation of "Variation of Parameters" is that it can only be used to solve non-homogeneous linear differential equations. It also requires a higher level of mathematical understanding and can be quite complex for more complicated differential equations.

How is "Variation of Parameters" different from other methods of solving differential equations?

"Variation of Parameters" is different from other methods of solving differential equations because it does not involve any assumptions or transformations, but rather uses a technique of varying the parameters in the general solution of the associated homogeneous equation to find a particular solution. It is also specifically used for solving non-homogeneous linear differential equations.