Solving Differential Equations with Variation of Parameters

In summary, the individual attempted to find a solution to the differential equation by letting y= V(y1) = V(X^2), however, they got lost and are requesting help. They believe they went wrong somewhere along the way.
Illusionist

Homework Statement

Given that y=x^2 is a solution to the differential equation:
(x^2)y'' + 2xy' - 6y = 0 <--- Eq.(1)
find the general solution of the differential equation
(x^2)y'' + 2xy' - 6y = 10(x^7) + 15(x^2) <--- Eq.(2)
Hence write down a second linear dependent solution of equation (1) and a particular solution of equation (2).

Homework Equations

I've basically concluded that variation of parameters is necessary. I don't think I completely understand what is being asked.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried letting y= V(y1) = V(X^2)
hence y'= (x^2)V' + 2xV and
y''= (x^2)V'' + 2xV' + 2V
Here is where I think I'm getting confused, sub. back into (1) I get:
V''(x^4)+2(x^3)V'+2V(x^2)+2(x^3)V'+4(x^2)V-6V(x^2)=0
which equals V''(x^4)+4(x^3)V"=0
This is where I come to a dead end, any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume you meant V'' x^4 + 4 x^3 V' = 0? Doesn't that simplify into a form that's very easy to solve?

Anyways, aren't you trying to solve equation (2)? You should be substituting into that.

isn't there another variation of parameters that can be used to find another linearly independent solution of a DE where you take the solution you find from the characterstic, multiplying it by u(x), then differentiating it and plugging it into and solving for u(x)?

That's what he did, except he called it V instead of u(x).

Ok so I'm at V''(x^4) + 4(x^3)V'=10(x^7) + 15(x^2). I then just devided all by (x^4) to get V'' alone, hence"
V'' + V'(4/x) = 10(x^3) + 15/(x^2)
I then let u=V' and u'=V'', therefore:
u' +u(4/x) = 10(x^3) + 15/(x^2), I then let P(x)=4/x and hence I(x)=x^4 after integration.
Now I have (d/dx) (x^4)u = integral of [10(x^7) + 15(x^2).dx],
hence (x^4)u= (10x^8 / 8) + 5(x^3) + C,
V'= (5x^4 / 4) + 5/x + C/(x^4) and finally
V= (x^5)/4 + 5log(x) - C/(3x^3) +D.

This is wrong and I just don't know where I went wrong. Thanks for the help so far guys.

Last edited:
Hurkyl said:
That's what he did, except he called it V instead of u(x).

yea but there's also the use of the wronskian which is called variation of parameters

Would anyone know where I went wrong above?

Please, anyone?

Illusionist said:
Please, anyone?

write it out in tex and i'll help but i really can't decypher what you've written

1. What is the concept of variation of parameters?

Variation of parameters is a method used to find a particular solution to a non-homogeneous linear differential equation. It involves replacing the constant coefficients in the equation with functions, and solving for those functions.

2. When is variation of parameters used?

Variation of parameters is typically used when the non-homogeneous term in a differential equation is too complex to be solved using the method of undetermined coefficients. It is also used when the non-homogeneous term is a product of functions, making it difficult to find a particular solution using other methods.

3. How does variation of parameters work?

The method of variation of parameters involves finding a set of functions that satisfy the homogeneous equation, and then using them to construct a particular solution. These functions are found by assuming that they have the same form as the non-homogeneous term and solving for their coefficients.

4. What are the limitations of variation of parameters?

Variation of parameters may not always work for all types of non-homogeneous terms. It is most effective when the non-homogeneous term is a product of functions. It may also require complex and tedious calculations, making it a less practical method for some equations.

5. Can variation of parameters be used for higher order differential equations?

Yes, variation of parameters can be used for higher order differential equations. However, the complexity and number of functions involved increases with the order of the equation, making it a more time-consuming method to use. Other methods, such as the method of undetermined coefficients, may be more efficient for higher order equations.