1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Variation of parameters

1. Sep 13, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

x^2y''-2xy'+2y=x^3cosx

Find a general solution by using variation of parameters

2. The attempt at a solution

I already solved this one, but I have 4 questions:

1. I found the solutions x and x^2 to the homogeneous equation by inspection. Is this the only way to do it?

2. How about the solutions -x and -x^2? I first tried the solutions x^2 and -x^2, and that gave me 0 as the particular solution...Why can't I choose these two?

3. When calculating the Wronski, how do I know which solution is y1 and y2? I first chose y1 as x^2, and that gave me a different solution...

4. Why are there no constants of integration?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2007 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The homogeneous equation here is [itex]x^2 y"- 2xy'+ 2=0[/itex]. That's an "equipotential" equation, also called an "Euler type" equation. You can get its general solution by "trying" y= xr as a solution. Also the substitution x= ln(t) changes the equation into a "constant coefficients" equation that is easy to solve.

The general solution to the homogeneous equation is Cx+ Dx2 where C and D can be any contstants. You can choose them to be -1, certainly. I don't know what you mean by "gave me 0 as the particular solution". y identically equal to 0 certainly doesn't satisfy the equation.

The Wronskian is a determinant. If you swap two columns, you just multiply the Wronskian by -1. That should do no more than multiply your previous solution by -1.

Because youdidn't put them in! Your general solution should be Cx+ Dx2+ a particular solution to the entire equation.

4. Sep 14, 2007 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The homogeneous equation here is [itex]x^2 y"- 2xy'+ 2=0[/itex]. That's an "equipotential" equation, also called an "Euler type" equation. You can get its general solution by "trying" y= xr as a solution. Also the substitution x= ln(t) changes the equation into a "constant coefficients" equation that is easy to solve.

The general solution to the homogeneous equation is Cx+ Dx2 where C and D can be any contstants. You can choose them to be -1, certainly. I don't know what you mean by "gave me 0 as the particular solution". y identically equal to 0 certainly doesn't satisfy the equation.

The Wronskian is a determinant. If you swap two columns, you just multiply the Wronskian by -1. That should do no more than multiply your previous solution by -1.

Because youdidn't put them in! Your general solution should be Cx+ Dx2+ a particular solution to the entire equation.

5. Sep 14, 2007 #4
    Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2007
  6. Sep 14, 2007 #5
    The Wronski keeps confusing me, however.

W(x^2, x) = -x^2

W(x, x^2) = x^2

The particular solution depends on which one of these I choose.

7. Sep 17, 2007 #6
    Or not?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?