1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Variation of poles

1. Sep 1, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hello, I would like your comments on my observations. I have a set of data from a step experiment, one input (volts D.C), one output (temperature). By doing system identification, the resultant model is second order and its poles lie at 0.99 and 0.8 (z-plane)

Now for the set of data, the sampling rate is 5 seconds. What I did is I took the same set of data and made a new one by appending one sample per 10 samples (50 seconds sampling rate). The parameters of the new model give me the poles at 0.92 and 0.65.

In a closed loop system I know that the closer a pole is to zero, it indicates a faster response. Does that also applies for my open loop transfer function?
    Physically, from the data, I can understand that by using 50sec sampling rate there is a bigger temperature change at every sample as compared to 5 sec rate.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?