What is the apparent difference between the two cases of H=I^2RT and H=(V^2)T/R?

In summary, the two equations apply to the same circumstance, but they describe different situations.
shihab-kol

Homework Statement

H=I^2RT and H=(V^2)T/R.
In one case H is directly proportional to R while in the other it is not where H is the energy consumed.
Explain the apparent difference between the two cases

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

In the first case electricity is being converted to heat while in the second electric energy is being obtained from something else.So the equations are different
My version is you can derive the two equations from one another

Thus they are same
But it's this alright?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
shihab-kol said:
In the first case electricity is being converted to heat while in the second electric energy is being obtained from something else.
No, they describe the same circumstance.
Consider the other difference in the equations. One has V where the other has I.
What happens to these when the resistance changes?

haruspex said:
No, they describe the same circumstance.
Consider the other difference in the equations. One has V where the other has I.
What happens to these when the resistance changes?
Ok
So for getting V we have to include it
So is my edited post correct?(post 1)

shihab-kol said:
Ok
So for getting V we have to include it
So is my edited post correct?(post 1)
No, as I thought I had indicated, it is completely wrong. The two equations apply to the same circumstance. What you need to explain is why they are consistent, despite appearances.
Try to answer my question in post #2.

I has to decrease and V increase if we increase R and vice versa
What I meant by my previous post was that you could derive both formulas from one another .For including V we have to include the inverse of R, thus both equations mean the same thing.
So,is it alright?

shihab-kol said:
What I meant by my previous post was that you could derive both formulas from one another .For including V we have to include the inverse of R, thus both equations mean the same thing.
Yes, but I don't feel it gets to grips with the apparent paradox.
shihab-kol said:
I has to decrease and V increase if we increase R and vice versa
Sort of.
P=V2/R seems to say that if you increase R P decreases. What assumption is being made in saying that?
P=I2R seems to say that if you i ncrease R P increases. What assumption is being made in that case?

P=V^2 /R says what you say .But if we increase R then V and so V^2 has to increase
Thus,P has a change
P=I^2R means as R increases I^2 has to decrease balancing the equation and more or less making it equal to the first one.
So,is this it?
P.S.- These are due to Ohm's Law

shihab-kol said:
But if we increase R then V and so V^2 has to increase
shihab-kol said:
as R increases I^2 has to decrease
Not necessarily.
You don't seem to be grasping the question. The question is saying "if we look at the equation P=V2/R then we might expect that if R increases then P decreases". Do you agree with that statement? What assumption is being made in making that statement?

haruspex said:
Not necessarily.
You don't seem to be grasping the question. The question is saying "if we look at the equation P=V2/R then we might expect that if R increases then P decreases". Do you agree with that statement? What assumption is being made in making that statement?
We are saying that P is inversely proportional to R.
In decreasing R we have to increase I and I is directly proportional to P {P=VI} .
So, yes I think P will increase.

shihab-kol said:
In decreasing R we have to increase I
To deduce that you must make a certain assumption. What assumption is being made?

haruspex said:
To deduce that you must make a certain assumption. What assumption is being made?
That voltage is constant.

shihab-kol said:
That voltage is constant.
Right!
Now look at the other equation, P=I2R. This appears to say that if R decreases P decreases. What assumption is being made now?

haruspex said:
Right!
Now look at the other equation, P=I2R. This appears to say that if R decreases P decreases. What assumption is being made now?
That current is constant

shihab-kol said:
That current is constant
Right. So how would you answer the question now? What explains the apparent paradox?

Sorry for the delay.

Is it that in same time,t since both V and I are constant R is also a constant?

shihab-kol said:
Sorry for the delay.

Is it that in same time,t since both V and I are constant R is also a constant?
No. Forget I, V and R for the moment and think in these general terms:
We have two equations, both valid.
If we make a certain assumption in one we reach a certain conclusion.
If we make a different assumption in the other, we reach a contradictory conclusion.
What can we say about the two assumptions?

haruspex said:
No. Forget I, V and R for the moment and think in these general terms:
We have two equations, both valid.
If we make a certain assumption in one we reach a certain conclusion.
If we make a different assumption in the other, we reach a contradictory conclusion.
What can we say about the two assumptions?
That anyone assumption is wrong?

shihab-kol said:
That anyone assumption is wrong?
Not exactly. I think it will take forever to get there this way, so I shall just tell you how I would answer:
The two assumptions cannot be true at the same time. So it should not be surprising that the two assumptions lead to contradictory conclusions.

1. What is variation of resistance?

Variation of resistance refers to the change in the value of resistance in an electrical circuit in response to different factors such as temperature, length of the conductor, and material used.

2. How does temperature affect resistance?

As temperature increases, the resistance of a material also increases. This is because at higher temperatures, the atoms in the material vibrate more, which makes it more difficult for electrons to flow through and results in an increase in resistance.

3. What factors influence the variation of resistance?

The variation of resistance can be influenced by factors such as the length and thickness of the conductor, the material used, and the temperature of the circuit. Other factors such as the type of circuit, presence of impurities, and physical conditions can also affect resistance.

4. How is resistance measured?

Resistance is measured in ohms (Ω) using a device called a multimeter. The multimeter sends a small amount of current through the circuit and measures the voltage drop, which is then used to calculate the resistance using Ohm's law (R=V/I).

5. How can variation of resistance be useful?

The variation of resistance is important in many practical applications, such as in the design of electronic circuits and devices. By understanding and controlling the factors that influence resistance, engineers can design more efficient and reliable circuits. It is also used in sensors and transducers to measure changes in temperature, strain, or pressure.