Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Variation of the lagrangian

1. Aug 27, 2011 #1
    Given an action:

[tex]S = \int L(q,\dot{q},t) \,dt[/tex]

The variation is:

[tex]\delta S = \int \left(\frac{\partial L}{\partial q}\delta q+\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q}}\delta\dot{q}\right)\,dt[/tex]

I'm guessing this is some type of chain rule, but I haven't been able to derive it... how is it justified?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2011 #2

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

Let [itex]x_{l}(t)[/itex] be the path of least action. Consider the path [itex]x_{l}(t) + \zeta (t)[/itex] where [itex]\zeta (t) << 1 [/itex]. So, [tex]S(x_{l}(t) + \zeta (t)) = \int_{t_{i}}^{t_{f}}L(x_{l}(t) + \zeta (t); \dot{x_{l}}(t) + \dot{\zeta }(t))dt [/tex] After a taylor expansion to first order in [itex]\boldsymbol{\zeta }[/itex], [tex]S(x_{l}(t) + \zeta (t)) = \int_{t_{i}}^{t_{f}}[L(x_{l}(t), \dot{x_{l}}(t)) + \frac{\partial L}{\partial x(t)}\zeta (t) + \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{x}(t)}\dot{\zeta }(t)]dt[/tex] (with the expansion terms along the path of least action) so the variation is given by [tex]\delta S = \int_{t_{i}}^{t_{f}}[ \frac{\partial L}{\partial x(t)}\zeta (t) + \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{x}(t)}\dot{\zeta }(t)]dt[/tex]

4. Aug 27, 2011 #3
    Ah, thanks for that and the fast reply :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook