What is the justification for the variation of the Lagrangian in an action?

In summary, the variation of the action is given by the integral of the partial derivatives of the Lagrangian with respect to the position and velocity, multiplied by the variations in position and velocity, respectively. This can be derived by considering a small perturbation to the path of least action and expanding the action to first order.
Identity
Given an action:

[tex]S = \int L(q,\dot{q},t) \,dt[/tex]

The variation is:

[tex]\delta S = \int \left(\frac{\partial L}{\partial q}\delta q+\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q}}\delta\dot{q}\right)\,dt[/tex]

I'm guessing this is some type of chain rule, but I haven't been able to derive it... how is it justified?

Physics news on Phys.org
Let [itex]x_{l}(t)[/itex] be the path of least action. Consider the path [itex]x_{l}(t) + \zeta (t)[/itex] where [itex]\zeta (t) << 1 [/itex]. So, [tex]S(x_{l}(t) + \zeta (t)) = \int_{t_{i}}^{t_{f}}L(x_{l}(t) + \zeta (t); \dot{x_{l}}(t) + \dot{\zeta }(t))dt [/tex] After a taylor expansion to first order in [itex]\boldsymbol{\zeta }[/itex], [tex]S(x_{l}(t) + \zeta (t)) = \int_{t_{i}}^{t_{f}}[L(x_{l}(t), \dot{x_{l}}(t)) + \frac{\partial L}{\partial x(t)}\zeta (t) + \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{x}(t)}\dot{\zeta }(t)]dt[/tex] (with the expansion terms along the path of least action) so the variation is given by [tex]\delta S = \int_{t_{i}}^{t_{f}}[ \frac{\partial L}{\partial x(t)}\zeta (t) + \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{x}(t)}\dot{\zeta }(t)]dt[/tex]

Ah, thanks for that and the fast reply :)

What is the lagrangian?

The lagrangian is a mathematical function used in classical mechanics to describe the dynamics of a system. It is defined as the difference between the kinetic and potential energy of a system.

How does the lagrangian vary?

The lagrangian can vary in two ways: with respect to time and with respect to position. Time variation is used to describe the evolution of a system over time, while position variation is used to describe the behavior of a system at a specific point in space.

What is the significance of the variation of the lagrangian?

The variation of the lagrangian is important because it allows us to derive the equations of motion for a system. By varying the lagrangian and setting it equal to zero, we can find the critical points of the system and determine the path that the system will follow through space and time.

What are the constraints on the variation of the lagrangian?

The variation of the lagrangian is subject to the principle of least action, which states that the path that a system follows is the one that minimizes the action, or the integral of the lagrangian over time. Additionally, the variation of the lagrangian must satisfy the Euler-Lagrange equations in order to accurately describe the dynamics of the system.

How is the variation of the lagrangian used in physics?

The variation of the lagrangian is used in various fields of physics, including classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, and field theory. It is a fundamental concept in many areas of physics and is used to derive the equations of motion for a wide range of physical systems.