Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Variation of the quadratic formula?

1. Sep 20, 2005 #1
    http://www.mste.uiuc.edu/users/exner/ncsa/quad/

There's another way of writing the quadratic formula...but how do I derive the 2nd formula using the 1st one? I've tried for hours and I can't get it. I would really appreciate any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2005 #2

krab

Science Advisor

Hint:
    [tex](-b+\sqrt{b^2-4ac})(-b-\sqrt{b^2-4ac})=4ac[/tex]
    Take the two different forms, set them equal to each other and simplify. But you have to know that the lower sign of the plus/minus in the one form corresponds to the upper sign in the other form.

4. Sep 21, 2005 #3

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Alternatively, multiply with 1 in a smart manner:
    [tex]\frac{-b\pm\sqrt{b^{2}-4ac}}{2a}=\frac{-b\pm\sqrt{b^{2}-4ac}}{2a}*1=\frac{-b\pm\sqrt{b^{2}-4ac}}{2a}*\frac{-b\mp\sqrt{b^{2}-4ac}}{-b\mp\sqrt{b^{2}-4ac}}=\frac{b^{2}-(b^{2}-4ac)}{2a(-b\mp\sqrt{b^{2}-4ac})}=\frac{2c}{-b\mp\sqrt{b^{2}-4ac}}[/tex]

The alternate version is often used if the numerator in the standard version becomes a difference between almost equal numbers.
    I.e, we may avoid loss of significant digits by using the alternate version.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2005
  5. Sep 21, 2005 #4
    oh, so in a way I'm rationalizing the equation and just multiplying by the conjugate? except it's backwards, because the radical is moved to the bottom.

6. Sep 22, 2005 #5

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Yes, you multiply with 1 in the form of the conjugate of the numerator.
    Thus, the root expression vanishes from the numerator but reappears in the denominator.
    I'm not too sure about what you mean by "rationalizing" and "backwards", though..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?