Variation Question: f Min then \delta f, \delta^2 f?

• Thread starter matematikuvol
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Variation
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of minimum for a function and its relation to the variation and derivatives. The conversation also highlights the example of the function x^2 to explain this concept. The term "variation" is clarified as an infinitesimal change of a function while keeping the argument fixed.
matematikuvol
If f has minimum, than

[tex]\delta f=0[/tex], [tex]\delta^2 f>0[/tex]

or

[tex]\delta f>0[/tex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you're going to need to answer your question more clearly. I really am not sure what you're talking about.

If some function has minimum. Then variation of that function is equal zero or bigger then zero?

Well, what do you mean by "variation" of a function? I know the "total variation of a function" on a given interval. If that is what you mean, what is the interval.

(The derivative, if that might be what you mean, of a function, at a minimum, is 0 and the second derivative either 0 or positive. A simple example is [itex]x^2[/tex] which has a minimum at x= 0. The derivative is 2x which is 0 at x= 0 and the second derivative is 2 which is positive.)

I mean by variation infinitesimal change of function while argument stay fiksed.

[tex]\varphi(x)[/tex]
[tex]\bar{\varphi}(x)[/tex]

variation

[tex]\delta \varphi(x)=\bar{\varphi}(x)-\varphi(x)[/tex]

Which again makes no sense because you don't say how φ¯(x) is related to φ(x).

1. What is variation?

Variation refers to the differences or changes observed in a particular phenomenon. It can be seen in various aspects of the natural world, such as in the characteristics of living organisms or in the behavior of physical systems.

2. What does "f Min" mean in variation?

"f Min" is a mathematical notation that represents the minimum value of a function. In the context of variation, it refers to the lowest or smallest value of a particular characteristic being studied.

3. How is variation measured?

Variation can be measured using statistical methods such as standard deviation, range, or variance. These measures help to quantify the extent of differences or changes in a set of data points.

4. What is the significance of delta (Δ) in variation?

Delta (Δ) is a symbol commonly used in mathematics to represent change or difference. In variation, delta is used to denote the amount of change or variability in a particular characteristic being studied.

5. How are the terms "δf" and "δ²f" related in variation?

Both "δf" and "δ²f" represent the change or variation in a function f. However, "δf" refers to the first derivative of the function, while "δ²f" refers to the second derivative. In other words, "δf" measures the rate of change of the function, while "δ²f" measures the rate of change of the rate of change.