Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Variation with scalar field coupled to gravity in 2D

1. Sep 14, 2008 #1
    The two dimensional action is:
    [tex]S_k = \int d^2\sigma\sqrt{h}\left(\partial_\alpha\phi\partial^\alpha\phi - \frac{i}{2}kR^{(2)}\phi\right)[/tex]
    where [tex]k[/tex] is a constant, [tex]R^{(2)}[/tex] is the two dimensional scalar curvature. I'm trying to derive the following energy momentum tensor:
    [tex]T_{\alpha\beta}^k = \partial_\alpha\phi\partial_\beta\phi - \frac{1}{4}ik\partial_\alpha\partial_\beta\phi[/tex]
    The first term can be understood as variation from [tex]\partial_\alpha\phi\partial_\beta\phi h^{\alpha\beta}[/tex], but I can't understand how the variation of [tex]\frac{i}{2}kR^{(2)}\phi[/tex] w.r.t. [tex]h^{\alpha\beta}[/tex] yields [tex]\frac{1}{4}\partial_\alpha\partial_\beta\phi[/tex]. There is one more thing that I'm confused, we didn't consider the variation of the volume factor [tex]\sqrt{h}[/tex]?! And, the variation of the scalar curvature yields the surface term in the usual four dimensional gravity, but here, it seems that we have to write [tex]R^{(2)} = \frac{1}{2}\partial_\alpha\partial_\beta h^{\alpha\beta}[/tex], however, I didn't see the reason...
    Is there anybody can solve this for me or can give me some hint of how to do it, many thanks in advance!
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted