Variational Calculus question.

In summary, the conversation is about a question posted on a forum regarding a specific line in a text. The original poster is struggling to understand how to get to g'(\epsilon) and is seeking help. Someone suggests using WolframAlpha's "show steps" feature to assist with the problem. Another person mentions using MS Paint to add line numbers for clarity. The conversation ends with the original poster expressing difficulty and running out of concentration ability.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
I asked this question in here:
https://nrich.maths.org/discus/messages/7601/151442.html?1310911861
(post 4), and still haven't got any reply, does someone know how to get to [tex]g'(\epsilon)[/tex] in the text cause I get something different with another terms plus the terms in the text.

I guess i'll need to procceed without understanding how did he get the LHS fo g'.

)-:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I have no idea which is "post 4" that you're asking about.
Perhaps a date and time of your post? Even better, edit the relevant image with MS Paint to add line numbers?

Have you tried WolframAlpha on your step?
Particularly, the "show steps" feature.

I processed through half of
d/dx ( u'(x)/(1+(u'(x))^2)^.5 )
when I discovered you were asking about an entirely different line.
I did find it helpful to ask Wolfram,
d/dx ( w'(x)/(1+(w'(x))^2)^.5 )
because the show steps, uses d/dx (uv) = uv' + vu' and that uses u for too many different ideas.

I'm running out of concentration ability.

What is variational calculus?

Variational calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with finding the optimal value of a functional, which is a mapping from a set of functions to a real number. It is used to solve optimization problems where the goal is to find the function that minimizes or maximizes a certain quantity.

What are the applications of variational calculus?

Variational calculus has a wide range of applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. It is used to solve problems related to optimization, control theory, differential equations, and physics, among others.

How does variational calculus differ from traditional calculus?

Variational calculus differs from traditional calculus in that it deals with functionals rather than functions. In traditional calculus, the goal is to find the optimal value of a function at a given point, while in variational calculus, the goal is to find the optimal function itself.

What is the Euler-Lagrange equation in variational calculus?

The Euler-Lagrange equation is a fundamental equation in variational calculus that is used to find the optimal function. It is derived from the principle of least action and is used to find the function that minimizes or maximizes a given functional.

What are the limitations of variational calculus?

Variational calculus is not suitable for all types of optimization problems. It is most effective when the problem can be expressed in terms of a functional and when the boundary conditions are well-defined. It may also be computationally intensive for complex problems.