Variational derivative of mean curvature

In summary, the variational derivative of mean curvature is a mathematical concept used to understand the curvature of a surface and is calculated by taking the derivative of the surface area functional with respect to the surface. It has many applications in physics, including finding the equilibrium shape of liquid droplets and bubbles and is also used in computer graphics and image processing.
Hologram0110
Hello Physics Forums,

I have a simple parametric surface in R3 <x,y,z(x,y)>. I've calculated the the usual mean curvature:

H= ((1+hx^2)hyy-2hxhyhxy+(1+hy^2)hxx)/(1+hx^2+hy^2)^3/2

I needed to take the variational derivative of this expression. Since it has second order spatial derivatives the equation is:

d/dh - d/dx d/dhx - d/dy d/dhy + d^2/dx^2 d/dhxx + d^2/dxdy d/hxy +d^2/dyy d/hyy

To simplify the math I grouped the terms by d/dx and d/dy and I found that :
-dH/dhx + d/dx dH/dhxx + 1/2 d/dy dH/dhxy = 0
and
-dH/dhy + d/dy dH/dhyy + 1/2 d/dx dH/dhxy = 0

I've encountered this in my work by brute forcing it with Mathematica. However, it seems like there might be a more fundamental or elegant way of getting the result. Is there some well known reason for this? I'm an engineer working in material science. I've never taken a course on variational calculus or differntial geometry so please forgie me if this is obvious.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for your post. It is always exciting to see someone exploring the applications of mathematics in their field of work.

To answer your question, the reason for the result you found is related to the fundamental theorem of calculus of variations. This theorem states that for a functional F defined on a space of functions, the critical points of F correspond to the solutions of the Euler-Lagrange equations. In your case, the functional is the mean curvature H and the critical points are the parametric surfaces that satisfy your equation.

By taking the variational derivative of H, you are essentially solving the Euler-Lagrange equations for the functional H. This is why you are getting the result you found, which is a set of equations that relate the first and second order derivatives of H. These equations are known as the Euler-Lagrange equations for H.

In summary, the result you found is not a coincidence, but rather a consequence of the fundamental theorem of calculus of variations. I hope this helps to clarify things for you. Keep up the good work in your research!

1. What is the variational derivative of mean curvature?

The variational derivative of mean curvature is a mathematical concept used in differential geometry to calculate the rate of change of the mean curvature of a surface. It is defined as the derivative of the mean curvature with respect to a small variation in the surface's position.

2. How is the variational derivative of mean curvature used in physics?

In physics, the variational derivative of mean curvature is used in the study of surfaces and interfaces, such as the surface tension of liquids and the shape of soap bubbles. It is also used in the study of minimal surfaces, which are surfaces that minimize the surface area for a given boundary.

3. What is the relationship between the variational derivative of mean curvature and the Euler-Lagrange equation?

The variational derivative of mean curvature is closely related to the Euler-Lagrange equation, which is a fundamental equation in the calculus of variations. In fact, the Euler-Lagrange equation can be derived from the variational derivative of mean curvature by setting it equal to zero.

4. How is the variational derivative of mean curvature calculated?

The variational derivative of mean curvature can be calculated using the first variation formula, which involves taking the derivative of the mean curvature with respect to the surface's position and then integrating it over the surface. This process can be quite complex and often requires advanced mathematical techniques.

5. What are some real-world applications of the variational derivative of mean curvature?

The variational derivative of mean curvature has many practical applications in fields such as material science, fluid mechanics, and computer graphics. It is used to model and analyze the behavior of surfaces and interfaces in various systems, including liquid droplets, soap films, and elastic membranes.