Variational Mechanics: Deriving Momentum & Hamiltonians

• Thread starter stunner5000pt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mechanics
In summary, the systems described by Lagrangians L1 and L2 can be analyzed using the Euler Lagrange equation to obtain the equations of motion and their solutions, which represent straight lines in spacetime. The Lagrangians can also be related through a perfect differential function F, and the actions over a fixed path differ only by this function evaluated at the endpoints. This implies that the actions are path independent and the solutions found in part b are a consequence of this.
stunner5000pt
Consider systems described by Lagrangians
[tex] L_{1} = \frac{1}{2} m\dot{x}^2 [/tex]
[tex] L_{2} = \frac{1}{2} m\dot{x}^2 - a \dot{x} x [/tex]
when [tex] \dot{x} = \frac{dx}{dt} [/tex] and a is a constnat

a) Derive the momenta conjugate to x for each system and write down the coressponding hamiltonians. Are the hamiltonians constants of motion and why?

Momenta conjugate to x (not familiar with the term conjugate)... does this mean
[tex] p_{x} = \frac{\partial L}{\partial x} [/tex]
but isn't the momentum
[tex] p_{\dot{x}} = \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{x}} [/tex]

b) Obtain the Lagrange equations of motion for each system, work out their solutions and explain what htey represent.
simply using the Euler Lagrange equation
for L1
let x = x(t)
[tex] \frac{\partial L}{\partial x} - \frac{d}{dt} \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{x}} = 0 [/tex]
but dL/dx = 0 so the second term is zero
[tex] \frac{d}{dt} \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{x}} = 0 [/tex]
dL/dx dot is mx dot so
[tex] \frac{d}{dt} m \dot{x} = 0 [/tex]
intengrate both sides wrt t
[tex] m x(t) = C_{1}t + C_{2} [/tex]
so far so good?

for L2
[tex] \frac{\partial L}{\partial x} = -a\dot{x} [/tex]
[tex] \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{x}} = m \dot{x} - ax [/tex]
[tex] \frac{d}{dt} \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{x}} = m \ddot{x} - a \dot{x} [/tex]
Into Euler Lagrange
[tex] -a\dot{x} - (m\ddot{x} - a\dot{x}) = 0 [/tex]
[tex] m\ddot{x} = 0 [/tex]
smae solution as L1 above

i suspect i made some mistake in L2. In any case they are the same trajectories. They represent straight lines?

c) Show taht
[tex] L_{2} = L_{1} + \frac{d}{dt} F(x,\dot{x}) [/tex]
and find the function F. What does this imply above the actions
[tex] A_{i} = \int_{t_{1}}^{t_{2}} L_{l} dt [/tex]
and how does this relate to your results of b)?

well that's easy
[tex] \frac{d}{dt} F(x,\dot{x}) = -\int ax \dot{x} dt = -\frac{a x^2}{2} [/tex]

the action for L2 is
[tex] A_{i} = \int_{t_{1}}^{t_{2}} L_{2} dt = \int_{t_{1}}^{t_{2}} \frac{1}{2} m \dot{x}^2 + \int_{t_{1}}^{t_{2}} \frac{-ax^2}{2} dt [/tex]
not quite sure how to proceed from here... WOuld i use the solutions from b to solve the action for each lagrangian?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
stunner5000pt said:
but isn't the momentum
[tex] p_{\dot{x}} = \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{x}} [/tex]

Yes, that is what they mean by the momentum conjugate to x. And you can drop the dot above the x subscript.

b) Obtain the Lagrange equations of motion for each system, work out their solutions and explain what htey represent.
simply using the Euler Lagrange equation
for L1
let x = x(t)
[tex] \frac{\partial L}{\partial x} - \frac{d}{dt} \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{x}} = 0 [/tex]
but dL/dx = 0 so the second term is zero
[tex] \frac{d}{dt} \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{x}} = 0 [/tex]
dL/dx dot is mx dot so
[tex] \frac{d}{dt} m \dot{x} = 0 [/tex]
intengrate both sides wrt t
so far so good?

for L2
[tex] \frac{\partial L}{\partial x} = -a\dot{x} [/tex]
[tex] \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{x}} = m \dot{x} - ax [/tex]
[tex] \frac{d}{dt} \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{x}} = m \ddot{x} - a \dot{x} [/tex]
Into Euler Lagrange
[tex] -a\dot{x} - (m\ddot{x} - a\dot{x}) = 0 [/tex]
[tex] m\ddot{x} = 0 [/tex]
smae solution as L1 above

i suspect i made some mistake in L2. In any case they are the same trajectories. They represent straight lines?

I don't see any mistakes. They represent staright lines in spacetime. What kind of motion is this?

c) Show taht
and find the function F. What does this imply above the actions
[tex] A_{i} = \int_{t_{1}}^{t_{2}} L_{l} dt [/tex]
and how does this relate to your results of b)?

well that's easy
[tex] \frac{d}{dt} F(x,\dot{x}) = -\int ax \dot{x} dt = -\frac{a x^2}{2} [/tex]

the action for L2 is
[tex] A_{i} = \int_{t_{1}}^{t_{2}} L_{2} dt = \int_{t_{1}}^{t_{2}} \frac{1}{2} m \dot{x}^2 + \int_{t_{1}}^{t_{2}} \frac{-ax^2}{2} dt [/tex]
not quite sure how to proceed from here... WOuld i use the solutions from b to solve the action for each lagrangian?

First off, d/dt(F) is equal to the difference in the Lagrangians, not the actions. The idea is that, since the Lagrangians differ by a perfect differential, what can you say about how the actions over some fixed path differ? How are the equations of motion affected by this (ie, what happens to F when you vary S)?

Last edited:
we ll i9 can say that from the momentum (with respect to x dot) the momenta only differ by ax.
Would it be path independant. So if S was varied we could get the same answer?
im not usre ho to interpret the actions, however

Forget about the actual forms of these Lagrangians for the moment. If you can show:

Then, just using this result, what does this give you for S1 in terms of S2, both evaluated along the same path? What can you then say about the extrema of these actions?

just one thing ... is S the path of a path integral that is
[tex] \nt_{S} L dt [/tex]??

if this is the case
[tex] \int_{t_{1}}^{t_{2}} L_{1} dt [/tex]
and [tex] \int_{t_{1}}^{t_{2}} \left(L_{1} + \frac{d}{dt} F(x,\dot{x}) dt = \int_{t_{1}}^{t_{2}} L_{1} dt + F(x,\dot{x})\right]_{t_{1}}^{t_{2}} [/tex]

they only differ the F term...
not sure how to put this in terms of paths

S is the action. So you see that the actions differ by the function f evaluated at the endpoints. But when you vary S to get the equations of motion, you keep the endpoints fixed, so...

so it makes no difference? that is the action remains the same regardless of the path? is This a consequence of the solutions found in part b??

Well I would say the result of b is a consequence of this fact. And, the actions are different for a given path, but the extra term makes no difference as far as the equations of motion are concerned. Do you see the distinction, and why this is the case?

the actions are different for a given path? Why si that so?

dont hte action just differ by some cosntant? SO F is not affected to change in the path..
the concept isn't registering in my head!

Yes, the actions differ by a constant, namely F evaluated at the endpoints. This constant drops out when you vary the path (infinitessimally, with endpoints fixed) to find the extrema, and so doesn't enter the equations of motion, which are just the conditions a path must satisfy to extremize the action.

1. What is Variational Mechanics?

Variational Mechanics is a branch of classical mechanics that focuses on finding the equations of motion for a physical system by minimizing a specific functional, known as the action. It is based on the principle of least action, which states that the true path of a system between two points in time is the one that minimizes the action.

2. How is Momentum derived in Variational Mechanics?

Momentum is derived in Variational Mechanics by taking the derivative of the Lagrangian with respect to velocity. The Lagrangian is a function that describes the kinetic and potential energies of a system. By taking the derivative of the Lagrangian, we can obtain the equations of motion for the system, which include the momentum terms.

3. What is the Hamiltonian in Variational Mechanics?

The Hamiltonian is a function in Variational Mechanics that is defined as the sum of the system's kinetic and potential energies. It is often denoted as H and plays a crucial role in finding the equations of motion for a system using the Hamiltonian formalism. The Hamiltonian is also related to the total energy of the system.

4. How does Variational Mechanics differ from Newtonian Mechanics?

Variational Mechanics differs from Newtonian Mechanics in the approach used to find the equations of motion for a system. In Newtonian Mechanics, the equations of motion are derived from Newton's laws of motion. In Variational Mechanics, the equations of motion are obtained by minimizing the action, which is a more general and powerful approach.

5. What are the applications of Variational Mechanics?

Variational Mechanics has numerous applications in various fields, including physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is used to model and analyze a wide range of physical systems, such as particles, fluids, and fields. It also has applications in optimizing trajectories, minimizing energy consumption, and finding stable configurations for mechanical systems.