Variational Operator Homework: Part 2

• Thread starter Niles
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Operator
In summary: How can you just 'pull the δ to the left'? There's not just one δ. It's mixed up in products.Sorry if this one is old, but as far as I know, variation uses expanding the "deformed function", i.e u+\delta u, in a Taylor series and ignoring all terms of order higher than one (so to speak, we perform some linearization trick.). As Dick pointed out, we have to subtract the original integral from the linearized Taylor expansion in order to obtain the variation. Hope this aids at clarification!
Niles

Homework Statement

Hi

In my book they have the following functional (δ is the variational opertator):

[tex]
\delta J = \int_0^1 {\left( {\frac{{du}}{{dx}}\frac{{d(\delta u)}}{{dx}} + u\delta u - x\delta u} \right)} = \delta \int_0^1 {\left( {\frac{1}{2}\left( {\frac{{du}}{{dx}}} \right)^2 + \frac{1}{2}u^2 - xu} \right)}
[/tex]

I don't understand the second equality. They say that the integration-operator and the variational operator commute, which I agree with, but where does the factor ½ come from?

Niles.

Physics news on Phys.org
Integration by parts is the answer you're looking for.

hunt_mat said:
Integration by parts is the answer you're looking for.

No, it's not integration by parts. Write u+δu as the function plus variation. Then the variation of u^2, δ(u^2) is (u+δu)^2-u^2. Which is u^2+2δu*u+(δu)^2-u^2=2δu*u+(δu)^2. Ignore the (δu)^2 since δu is a 'small variation'. So the quadratic is really small. So δ(u^2)=2δu*u. The variation acts a lot like a differentiation operator. That's where the 1/2 factors come from.

Dick said:
No, it's not integration by parts. Write u+δu as the function plus variation. Then the variation of u^2, δ(u^2) is (u+δu)^2-u^2. Which is u^2+2δu*u+(δu)^2-u^2=2δu*u+(δu)^2. Ignore the (δu)^2 since δu is a 'small variation'. So the quadratic is really small. So δ(u^2)=2δu*u. The variation acts a lot like a differentiation operator. That's where the 1/2 factors come from.

Thanks, but if the variational operator commutes with the integration- and differentiation operator, then why can't we just pull the δ to the left to begin with and drop the above calculation

Niles said:
Thanks, but if the variational operator commutes with the integration- and differentiation operator, then why can't we just pull the δ to the left to begin with and drop the above calculation

How can you just 'pull the δ to the left'? There's not just one δ. It's mixed up in products.

Sorry if this one is old, but as far as I know, variation uses expanding the "deformed function", i.e [itex]u+\delta u[/itex], in a Taylor series and ignoring all terms of order higher than one (so to speak, we perform some linearization trick.). As Dick pointed out, we have to subtract the original integral from the linearized Taylor expansion in order to obtain the variation. Hope this aids at clarification!

1. What is a variational operator?

A variational operator is a mathematical function that is used to find the minimum or maximum value of a given functional. It is commonly used in the field of calculus of variations to solve optimization problems.

2. How is a variational operator used in physics?

In physics, variational operators are used to find the equations of motion of a physical system. The variational principle states that the true path of a system is the one that minimizes the action, which is a functional that describes the system's dynamics. Variational operators are used to find this minimum action and derive the equations of motion.

3. What are some common examples of variational operators?

Some common examples of variational operators include the Euler-Lagrange operator, the Hamiltonian operator, and the Legendre transformation operator. These operators are used to solve various problems in physics, engineering, and other fields.

4. How is a variational operator different from a regular derivative?

A variational operator is a more general form of a derivative that is used to find the minimum or maximum value of a functional. Unlike a regular derivative, which only considers a single point, a variational operator considers a range of points and determines the optimal value.

5. What are some applications of variational operators?

Variational operators have a wide range of applications in various fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and computer science. They are commonly used to solve optimization problems, find the equations of motion of physical systems, and optimize functionals in machine learning algorithms.