1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Variational Principle Problem

1. Nov 11, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A particle of mass m is in a potential of V(x) = Kx4 and the wave function is given as ψ(x)= e^-(ax2) use the variational principle to estimate the ground state energy.

Part B:
    The true ground state energy wave function for this potential is a symmetric function of x i.e. ψ0(x)=ψ0(-x). Use the result that <ψ0lψ(β)> = 0 along with an approximately chosen wave function, to estimate the energy of the first excited state.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Ok so I know how to compute variational method approximations and I have proven the identity <ψ0lψ(β)> = 0 earlier on my assignment and understand the identity as well. What I don't understand is the part that says "Use the result that <ψ0lψ(β)> = 0 along with an approximately chosen wave function, to estimate the energy of the first excited state."

Again I know that when <ψ0lψ(β)> = 0 the variational principle becomes E1≤ <ψlHlψ>/<ψlψ> but does the problem want me to chose a different wavefunction? And if so how to I go about choosing this new wave-function?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2013 #2
    The point is to pick a wavefunction which is orthogonal to your first
    and use that as a trial to read the first excited energy [again variationally].
    The clue is telling you to look at the parity, an even wf. is orthogonal to an odd wf,
    so your trial function should be chosen odd.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted