How Do You Approach the Variational Problem in GR from Misner's Exercise 7.1?

• Thread starter Karl G.
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gr
In summary, the author is trying to find an equation of motion for a functional that varies with respect to $\Phi$ using Euler-Lagrange equations.
Karl G.

Homework Statement

From Gravitation by Misner, et al. Can anybody who has access to this text show me how to vary this functional from exercise 7.1, and using the principle of least value, derive an identity? The functional is I = [tex]\int[/L d[4][/SUP]]x, where L = -1/(\pi*8*G)*\eta[/\alpha\beta](\Phi)[/,\alpha](\Phi)[/,\beta] - \int m (e^\Phi) \delta([/x - z](\tau)) d\tau Vary with respect to \Phi. I apologize in advance for notation.

Homework Equations

Euler- Lagrange Eq'ns. I know variational methods, but this one perplexes me.

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
OK, so the functional integral you mean is:

[itex]I = \int \mathcal{L} \textrm{d}^4x[/itex]

where

[itex]\mathcal{L} = -\frac{1}{8\pi G}\eta^{\alpha\beta}\frac{\partial \Phi}{\partial x^\alpha}\frac{\partial \Phi}{\partial x^\beta} -m \int e^{\Phi} \delta^{(4)}(\mathbf{x}-\mathbf{x}(\tau))\textrm{d}^4 x[/itex]

We want to know what the equations of motions are when we vary [itex]\Phi[/itex]. The easiest way to do this is to use the Euler-Lagrange equations. For fields, these equations read

[itex]\partial_\alpha \frac{\delta \mathcal{L}}{\delta(\partial_\alpha \Phi)} -\frac{\delta \mathcal{L}}{\delta \Phi}= 0 [/itex]

The first term (of the E.L.) gives:
[itex]\partial_\alpha \frac{\delta \mathcal{L}}{\delta(\partial_\alpha \Phi)} = \frac{1}{4\pi G}\partial^\alpha\partial_\alpha \Phi[/itex]

The second term gives:

[itex]-\frac{\delta \mathcal{L}}{\delta \Phi} = m \int e^{\Phi} \delta^{(4)}(\mathbf{x}-\mathbf{x}(\tau))\textrm{d}^4 x[/itex]

Which is probably more than enough info you need... I think?

Yes, thanks, sorry for all the inconvenience you may have experienced with the horrid notation I used

One more question (sorry!): Is there a way to simplify the last integral with the delta function? I'm not sure how you would do it with a 4-d integral.

1. What is a variational problem in GR?

A variational problem in GR (General Relativity) is a mathematical problem that involves finding the solution to the Einstein field equations, which describe the curvature of spacetime. The solution is found by minimizing a certain functional called the action, which represents the total energy of the system. This approach is known as the variational principle or variational method.

2. Why is the variational principle used in GR?

The variational principle is used in GR because it provides a powerful and elegant method for solving the complex equations of general relativity. It allows for the derivation of the equations of motion for particles and the description of the gravitational field in a covariant and geometrically intuitive way.

3. What is the significance of finding the minimum of the action in a variational problem?

Finding the minimum of the action in a variational problem is significant because it corresponds to the physical solution to the Einstein field equations. This minimum action path represents the path that objects will take in spacetime, and it is the path that minimizes the energy of the system.

4. How is the variational problem solved in practice?

In practice, the variational problem in GR is solved using the calculus of variations, a branch of mathematics that deals with finding the minima or maxima of mathematical functionals. The action is typically expressed as an integral over spacetime, and the equations of motion are obtained by varying the action with respect to the metric tensor.

5. What are some real-world applications of the variational problem in GR?

The variational problem in GR has many real-world applications, including predicting the motion of planets and other celestial bodies in the solar system, describing the behavior of black holes and other astronomical objects, and understanding the large-scale structure and evolution of the universe. It is also used in the development of technologies such as GPS and in the study of gravitational waves.