1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Variations of parameters

1. Jul 30, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [tex] 2y\prime\prime +2y\prime + y = 4 \sqrt{x}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

charecteristic equation: [tex] x^2+x+\frac{1}{2}[/tex]
    roots: [tex]\frac{1}{2}\pm\frac{1}{2}i[/tex]

homogenous solution: [tex] a \sin{\frac{1}{2}x} + b \cos{\frac{1}{2}x}[/tex]

Wronskian: [tex] \left(\begin{array}{cc}\sin{\frac{1}{2}x}&\cos{\frac{1}{2}x}\\\frac{1}{2}\cos{\frac{1}{2}x}&-\frac{1}{2}\sin{\frac{1}{2}x}\end{array}\right) = -\frac{1}{2}[/tex]

It would be nice to know if up to here, everyone else gets the same answer. After this I get into non elementary functions which is no where near the level of difficulty included within the course I'm taking. I haven't attempted to solve what comes next, frankly because I have no clue where to even begin. I think I probably made a mistake above, if someone can point me in the right direction that would be awesome. The method used is variation of parameters.

[tex]y_{1}=\sin{\frac{1}{2}x} [/tex]

[tex]y_{2}=\cos{\frac{1}{2}x}[/tex]

[tex] u_{1} = \int{4\sqrt{x}\cos{\frac{1}{2}x}dx} [/tex]

[tex]u_{2} = \int{-4\sqrt{x}\sin{\frac{1}{2}x}dx}[/tex]

ick

Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2008 #2
    With [itex]x^2+x+\frac{1}{2}[/itex] as your characteristic equation, I think your roots should be [itex]-\frac{1}{2}\pm\frac{1}{2}i[/itex]. And then with the complex roots, the homogeneous solution should be in the form of

[tex]y=c_1e^{\lambda t}\cos(\mu t)+c_2e^{\lambda t}\sin(\mu t)[/tex]

where the roots come from the form of [itex]\lambda \pm i\mu[/itex]. Your form was missing the exponential term. Hope that helps a bit.

4. Jul 30, 2008 #3

Defennder

Homework Helper

Yeah, jeffreydk is right. Your roots are incorrect and you neglected the exponential.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?