Various Gauss's Law problems

In summary: So at the center of the sphere where there is no charge, you would expect the electric field to be zero. However, because there is a charge of -4 µC located at the center of the sphere, the electric field is still present at the center of the sphere and is equal to 5 µC/m2. At radius 6 cm from the center, the electric field is equal to 10 µC/m2.
Trentonx

Homework Statement

A point charge of strength q1 = -4 µC is located at the center of a thick, conducting spherical shell of inner radius a = 2 cm and outer radius b = 3 cm. The conducting shell has a net charge of q2 = 5 µC
(a) Calculate the surface charge densities on the inner (sa) and outer (sb) surfaces of the spherical shell.

Homework Equations

Gauss's law
Surface area of sphere - 4*pi*r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

So I thought that on a conductor, the charge was all on the outside, so there would no charge on the inner surface, but that was wrong, so I'm at a lose on how to approach this. Gauss's law give me the electric field through an area, right? And then relates that to the charge enclosed, which I know? I might know the equation, but the concepts and how to apply them escape me.

Physics news on Phys.org
In the absence of the charge q1 at the center , all the charge q2 on the sphere would have been on the outer surface of the sphere. But due to the presence of q1, same amount of charge will be attracted towards inner surface of the sphere. The remaining charge will be on the outer surface of the sphere.

Alright, so I need to find the "spread" of charges, how much remained on the outside surface, and how much went towards the inside. How do I apply Gauss's law then? Can I assume that 4 µC of the sphere's charge went to the inner surface then to compensate for the charge inside?

So I found the charge densities, and it makes sense, as 4 µC were attracted to the inside of the sphere, since -4 µC were enclosed and left 1µC on the outer surface. Now, the follow up questions are asking about the electric field at various radii.
(b) Calculate the net radial electric field component at the following radii:
At r = 1cm?
At r = 6cm?

It seems this would be an application of Coulomb's Law or that E=(k)(Q)/(r^2), but these aren't the point charges that we have worked with. Gauss's Law tells me the net electric flux, right, so it doesn't seem to be useful in finding the electric field.

According to Gauss's law charged sphere acts like a point charge.

1. What is Gauss's Law?

Gauss's Law is a fundamental principle in electrodynamics, named after the German mathematician and physicist Carl Friedrich Gauss. It states that the electric flux through a closed surface is proportional to the electric charge enclosed by that surface.

2. How is Gauss's Law applied to various problems?

Gauss's Law can be applied to a variety of problems involving electric fields and charges. Some common applications include finding the electric field at a point due to a charged object, determining the net electric flux through a closed surface, and calculating the charge enclosed by a surface given the electric field.

3. What is the equation for Gauss's Law?

The mathematical representation of Gauss's Law is: ∫E·dA = Q/ε0, where ∫E·dA is the electric flux through a closed surface, Q is the total charge enclosed by that surface, and ε0 is the permittivity of free space.

4. How is Gauss's Law related to Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a special case of Gauss's Law when dealing with point charges. It states that the force between two point charges is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. Gauss's Law extends this concept to more complex charge distributions and closed surfaces.

5. What are some real-life applications of Gauss's Law?

Gauss's Law has many practical applications, including calculating the electric field inside a charged capacitor, designing lightning rods to protect buildings from lightning strikes, and understanding the behavior of charged particles in particle accelerators. It is also used in the development of electronic devices, such as capacitive touchscreens and photocopiers.