1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Various properties of waves

1. Apr 13, 2014 #1
    I have a few waves questions I would really like to have addressed. I'll post my logic/solution for each question and any feedback is welcome.

Q. 10: This one seems pretty straight forward but shouldn't the units be 3.0 rad/m? Since x is in meters and we're not changing the order of magnitude for any other variables, I don't quite see how the units cancel out properly...I'd just like to confirm this.

Q. 20 and 21: This seems also pretty simply but I may be missing something here. To find instantaneous velocity is to take the derivative (find slope of tangent) at a point. Looking at the question like this, my answer for 20 would be E and 21 would be D. Am I missing something fundamental here?

Q. 31: This question also didn't make complete sense to me. Looking at 3, the tension appears to be the greatest since there's one string and 2 masses for which it must be keep up. 2 looks like the lowest and 1 is intermediate, since FT ~ v2. Once again, am I missing something big here?

Any help with these questions would be great! Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2014 #2
    For Q10, you're right, the units should be rad/m.

For Q20 and Q21, try to imagine what happens to point P as the wave moves to the right. The waves are traverse in both cases, so a point "on" the wave cannot by definition have a longitudinal velocity component, just a traverse component, hence it can only go up or down.

As for Q31, I don't see any sort of picture so I can't really help out much.

4. Apr 14, 2014 #3
    q. 31

Attached Files:

5. Apr 15, 2014 #4
    If you haven't done so already, draw free body diagrams for all the cases depicted. You can then figure out the tensions in all of them. Notice that case 1 and 3 are equivalent because the forces on both ends of the rope are the same (in the first case, the wall must exert a force equal in magnitude to that of the weight of the block, otherwise it wouldn't be in equilibrium anymore).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted