Expanding and Simplifying Varley Bridge Equations

• Thread starter casper12
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bridge
In summary, the conversation discusses how to multiply brackets in an equation to get a specific result. The process involves getting rid of one bracket and simplifying the other, then incorporating the remaining bracket to get the desired result. The speaker offers to provide more specific help if the progress made so far is shown.
casper12
upload_2017-8-5_22-56-57.png

Hi this question is asking to show how multiplying the brackets of the first equation can result into the second equation, I think I have been looking at it for far to long as I can not seem to work it out.

any pointers would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• upload_2017-8-5_22-56-9.png
    upload_2017-8-5_22-56-9.png
    17.5 KB · Views: 430
Engineering news on Phys.org
It seems simple. You only need to get rid of the Rc + Rl bracket, leaving the first resulting term alone (keep it for the final result), open up the second term, then bring Rl across and incorporate it into that second term result, simplify it and there you are.

If you show your progress so far I can be more specific perhaps.

What are Varley bridge equations?

Varley bridge equations are a set of mathematical equations used in electrical engineering to measure unknown resistance values in an electrical circuit. They were developed by British engineer C. L. Varley in the 19th century.

How do Varley bridge equations work?

Varley bridge equations use a Wheatstone bridge circuit, which consists of four resistors connected in a diamond shape. By varying the resistance of one of the resistors, the unknown resistance can be determined by balancing the bridge.

What are the advantages of using Varley bridge equations?

One of the main advantages of Varley bridge equations is their high accuracy. They are also relatively simple to set up and use, making them a popular choice for measuring resistance in electrical circuits.

What are the limitations of Varley bridge equations?

Varley bridge equations can only be used to measure unknown resistances within a certain range. They are also affected by external factors such as temperature and electromagnetic interference, which can affect their accuracy.

Are Varley bridge equations still used today?

Yes, Varley bridge equations are still used in some applications, particularly in the field of electrical engineering. However, they have largely been replaced by more advanced techniques such as digital multimeters.