1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Varshni Empirical Expression

1. Oct 28, 2009 #1
    Not exactly a homework question, but I wasn't sure if this should go to the general forums or homework forums since this is regarding schoolwork.

I was doing an experiment regarding the conductivity of semiconductors and temperature (from rtp to 500 K) and I feel that in my calculations, I measured the [tex]E_{g}(0)[/tex]. However, the professor was saying that I measured instead the value [tex]E_{g}[/tex], which is constant for low temperatures.

My reason for thinking that I got [tex]E_{g}[/tex] was I was reading up on semiconductors and came across this expression [tex]E_{g}(T) = E_{g}(0) - \frac{\alpha*T^2}{\beta+T}[/tex], [tex]E_{g}[/tex] refer to the energy gap of the semiconductor, [tex]\alpha[/tex] and [tex]\beta[/tex] are constants associated with the semiconductor and T is the temperature. I was just wondering if this worked over the entire range of temperature or only over a specific range?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?