Varshni Empirical Expression

• Thread starter Bloodthunder
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Expression
In summary, the conversation is about an experiment on the conductivity of semiconductors and temperature. The person thought they measured E_{g}(0) but their professor explained that they measured E_{g} instead, which is constant for low temperatures. The person was wondering if a particular expression for E_{g}(T) was accurate for the entire temperature range, and it was clarified that it is only valid for temperatures near 0 K.
Bloodthunder
Not exactly a homework question, but I wasn't sure if this should go to the general forums or homework forums since this is regarding schoolwork.

I was doing an experiment regarding the conductivity of semiconductors and temperature (from rtp to 500 K) and I feel that in my calculations, I measured the [tex]E_{g}(0)[/tex]. However, the professor was saying that I measured instead the value [tex]E_{g}[/tex], which is constant for low temperatures.

My reason for thinking that I got [tex]E_{g}[/tex] was I was reading up on semiconductors and came across this expression [tex]E_{g}(T) = E_{g}(0) - \frac{\alpha*T^2}{\beta+T}[/tex], [tex]E_{g}[/tex] refer to the energy gap of the semiconductor, [tex]\alpha[/tex] and [tex]\beta[/tex] are constants associated with the semiconductor and T is the temperature. I was just wondering if this worked over the entire range of temperature or only over a specific range?

Physics news on Phys.org
The expression that you came across, E_{g}(T) = E_{g}(0) - \frac{\alpha*T^2}{\beta+T}, is only valid for temperatures near 0 K (absolute zero). At higher temperatures, the energy gap of the semiconductor will be different, and so the expression will not be accurate. This means that if you measured the energy gap at higher temperatures, then you likely did not measure E_{g}(0).

What is the Varshni Empirical Expression?

The Varshni Empirical Expression is a mathematical equation used to describe the temperature dependence of the energy gap in semiconductors.

Who developed the Varshni Empirical Expression?

The Varshni Empirical Expression was developed by Indian physicist, S.P. Varshni, in 1967.

What is the significance of the Varshni Empirical Expression?

The Varshni Empirical Expression is significant because it is a widely accepted and accurate model for predicting the temperature dependence of the energy gap in semiconductors.

What are the variables in the Varshni Empirical Expression?

The Varshni Empirical Expression includes two variables: temperature (T) and a material-specific constant (Eg0).

How is the Varshni Empirical Expression used in semiconductor research?

The Varshni Empirical Expression is used to study the relationship between temperature and energy gap in semiconductors, which is important for understanding their electrical properties and developing new technologies.