Finding Distance with Varying Force: A Homework Problem

• Thread starter Xamfy19
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, a 1.0kg object experiences a force, F(t)=k*e^(-c*t) i, where k=6.0N and c=0.10 (1/s), at time t=0 with a velocity of 2.0 m/s at the origin. After 20 seconds, the object's displacement can be found by using Newton's second law, F = m(dv/dt), and integrating to find the total displacement.
Xamfy19

Homework Statement

An object of mass m=1.0kg experiences a force of the following mathematical form,

F(t)=k*e^(-c*t) i

where k=6.0N and c=0.10 (1/s) and i indicates the unit vector in the x-direction.At time t=0, the object has a velocity of v=2.0 m/s and is at the origin. Where is this object after 20 seconds?

Homework Equations

F=ma.. maybe..

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the force equation and F=ma to get the acceleration and was going to use the x=(vo)t +(1/2a)t^2 equation, but then I realized that doesn't make sense... I'm kind of confused though... How do you find the distance if the force varies? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Once you've found the acceleration, as you say, use the most general form of the equations between acceleration, velocity and displacement to find the displacement for this case.

Dorothy

You should use the Newton's second law in this form

[tex]F = m\frac{dv}{dt}[/tex]

Then you find [tex]v[/tex] as a function of time [tex]t[/tex].

Remember that [tex]dx = vdt[/tex].

Calculate [tex]\int_0^{20}dx[/tex] to find the answer.

What is the "Varying Force Problem"?

The "Varying Force Problem" is a concept in physics that refers to the challenge of determining the motion of an object when the force acting on it changes over time. This can occur in various scenarios, such as a rocket accelerating in space or a car decelerating on a slope.

Why is the "Varying Force Problem" important?

Understanding the "Varying Force Problem" is crucial in accurately predicting the motion of objects in real-world scenarios. Many natural phenomena, such as planetary orbits and ocean currents, involve varying forces and can only be explained through the application of this concept.

What are some common examples of the "Varying Force Problem"?

Some common examples of the "Varying Force Problem" include the motion of satellites in orbit, the acceleration of a roller coaster, and the movement of a pendulum. In all of these cases, the force acting on the object changes over time, making it challenging to determine its exact motion.

What are the key equations used to solve the "Varying Force Problem"?

The two main equations used to solve the "Varying Force Problem" are Newton's second law of motion, which states that force is equal to mass times acceleration (F=ma), and the work-energy theorem, which states that the net work done on an object is equal to its change in kinetic energy (W=ΔKE).

How is the "Varying Force Problem" related to other physics concepts?

The "Varying Force Problem" is closely related to other physics concepts such as Newton's laws of motion, work and energy, and kinematics. It also plays a significant role in the study of dynamics and the motion of objects in various fields such as engineering, astronomy, and biology.