1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Varying Force

1. Dec 17, 2013 #1
    ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1387274814.891516.jpg

Okay so the answer in b) is mgR how is this possible when we integrate ?

The work is the external force right?
    Secondly the F inside the integral is the mg sin(theta) the force of gravity?
    dr ---> pi R (semicircle)

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2013 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The force, according to the problem, is [itex]mg cos(\theta)[/itex]. Are you saying you do not believe that?

I don't know what you mean by "dr--> pi R". First, in this problem you are dealing with [tex]d\vec{r}[/tex], not "dr". (Since we are moving on a circle, r is constant and dr= 0!) On a circle of radius r, [itex]x= r cos(\theta)[/itex] and [itex]y= r sin(\theta)[/itex] so that [itex]\vec{r}= r cos(\theta)\vec{i}+ r sin(\theta)\vec{j}[/itex] and [itex]d\vec{r}= -r sin(\theta)\vec{i}+ r cos(\theta)\vec{j} d\theta[/itex]

No, the "work" is NOT the "external force". Work is not force. And since there is only one force here, I don't know what you mean by "external" force.

4. Dec 17, 2013 #3
    No I believe that no problem. Force done by pulling the small particle is mgcos(θ)

my problem is with the work done by that force to pull the particle is the W = ∫F.dr
    This is the work done by the external force in puling the particle which should be the mgcos(θ) x the distance moved

We integrate here because the force done varies with the displacement moved due to the angle.

In the integral I will add the which force the gravitational force which is mg j
    the dr⃗ =−rsin(θ)i⃗ +rcos(θ)j⃗ dθ

when we integrate this it will lead us to mgr be outside the integral and cosine(θ) which integrate to sin(θ)

Work done is mgRsin(θ) not mgR

or did he assume that the angle is 90 which is 1 ?

please help with that work part and correct me if I ma giving an faulty information

5. Dec 17, 2013 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

It says: "... from the bottom to the top", so what is the range for theta?

6. Dec 18, 2013 #5
    180 sin180 is 0 so the whole thing is zero?

7. Dec 18, 2013 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

No, not 180. It's a half cylinder lying on its flat side.

8. Dec 18, 2013 #7
    Its a semi-circle with 180 degrees
    A full circle is 360
    Quarter is 90

Cant argue with that!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted