Speed of Light: Has It Always Been Constant?

• Thread starter jamie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light
In summary, the conversation revolves around the question of whether the speed of light has always been constant, with one person suggesting that it may have changed over time and another providing evidence that it has not. The potential implications of a changing speed of light are discussed, and resources for further reading are provided.
jamie
I have to ask this question on this forum because i was shot down in flames when i bought the subject up in a physics discussion at uni.
has the speed of light always been c?
did it rapidly accelerate in line with the inflationary model of the universe or start instantaneously at c, and could it be possible that it is slowing down at the same rate the expanding universe is slowing down.
I am going to throw the ball in the court of you clever ladies and gents because, I will confess, It may help me with a particular topic assighed to me by my tutor.
many thanks
jamie

Science news on Phys.org
Its an interesting question and evidence is thin, but suggests it hasn't changed much (if at all). Remember, with telescopes we can see back in time and a different speed of light would cause very different looking galaxies, stars, etc.

Thanks for your prompt reply Russ.
This idea really came to me when i read the problem regarding the lack of mass/energy in the universe. now my idea( i won't call it a theory) goes on to sugest that if the speed of light had accelerated and is deaccelerating now then the size of the universe would be smaller than we have calculated. now this would help to solve partly the above mentioned problem.
Now believe me i am not trying to flaw relativity but i am wondering whether, just as quantum mechanics and relativity are very good tools for predicting most of physics except singularities, they fail at the begin of time.
do you think i should follow this line of thought or you my limited talents be better employed elsewhere.
any guidance would be greatly appreciated
many thanks again
jamie

jamie said:
I have to ask this question on this forum because i was shot down in flames when i bought the subject up in a physics discussion at uni.
has the speed of light always been c?

The speed of light is constant in space-time. It is reasonable to consider the possibility that as the universe increases through time that motion through space slows. While the speed of light in space-time is constant, as the theory goes, there is no requirement that the speed of light through space has been constant.

There is a lot of evidence to suggest that c has not varied significantly over time, at least not since a very long time ago. There would be a number of observational consquences, notably the nuclear fine structure constant, which have not been demonstrated. While a bit technical this paper gives a good overview

http://horology.jpl.nasa.gov/papers/alpha95.pdf

For a dissenting opinion, try

http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/constants_nature_changing.html

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the speed of light?

The speed of light is a universal physical constant that represents the maximum speed at which all matter and information can travel in the universe. It is denoted by the symbol "c" and has a value of approximately 299,792,458 meters per second in a vacuum.

2. Has the speed of light always been constant?

According to the current understanding of physics, the speed of light has always been constant. This is known as the principle of "constant speed of light" and is a fundamental tenet of Einstein's theory of relativity. However, there have been some scientific theories and experiments that suggest the possibility of variations in the speed of light in the early universe.

3. How do scientists measure the speed of light?

The speed of light can be measured using various methods, including the use of lasers, mirrors, and precise timing equipment. One of the most accurate methods is the use of interferometry, which involves splitting a beam of light and recombining it to measure the time it takes to travel a certain distance.

4. Can the speed of light be exceeded?

According to current scientific understanding, the speed of light is the maximum speed at which anything can travel in the universe. It is considered a fundamental limit and cannot be exceeded by any known form of matter or energy. However, some theories, such as the concept of wormholes, suggest that it may be possible to travel faster than the speed of light by bending space-time.

5. How has our understanding of the speed of light evolved over time?

The concept of the speed of light has been studied and debated by scientists for centuries, with different theories and measurements being proposed. However, it wasn't until the late 19th and early 20th centuries that our modern understanding of the speed of light as a constant was established through experiments and theories developed by scientists such as Albert Einstein and Max Planck.