Winning at Amusement Park Game: Varying Velocities

• Thread starter quick
  • Start date
In summary, a game at the amusement park involves pushing a puck up a frictionless ramp and winning a stuffed animal if the puck reaches within 10 cm of the end of the ramp without going off. Using the equation v_f^2 = v_i^2 + 2a(x_f - x_i), and given the initial speed and position of the puck, as well as its final speed after traveling a certain distance, the acceleration along the ramp can be determined. Alternatively, conservation of energy can also be used to solve this problem. In this case, the negative acceleration along the ramp must be taken into account.
quick
One game at the amusement park has you push a puck up a long, frictionless ramp. You win a stuffed animal if the puck, at its highest point, comes to within 10 cm of the end of the ramp without going off. You give the puck a push, releasing it with a speed of 5.0 m/s when it is 8.50 m from the end of the ramp. The puck's speed after traveling 3.0 m is 4.0 m/s.

Am I a winner or not?

Please explain how to do this problem. thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's something to start you off.

Along the ramp, the puck experiences a constant acceleration. (Why?)
With your data (namely, the velocity and position at two different events), you can determine this acceleration.
Given the velocity at your final event, you can determine the position of that final event.

You can also do this using "conservation of energy".

so i use the equation:
v_f^2 = v_i^2 + 2a(x_f - x_i)
and solve for a?

i tried with the following values:

4^2 = 5^2 + 2a(5.5 - 8.5) {this part was kind of confusing since the way they give the positions is '8.5m from the end of the ramp' and then 'after traveling 3.0m') after solving for a i got .84

That's a good equation to use.

Assuming "up the ramp" to be the positive direction, I would have expected the component of acceleration along the ramp to be negative. Try calling the "end of the ramp" "0 cm" and the initial position "-850. cm".

awesome i got it. thanks for your help!

1. How does varying velocities affect my chances of winning at an amusement park game?

Varying velocities can greatly increase your chances of winning at an amusement park game. By changing the speed of your throws or shots, you can adjust the trajectory of your game piece and potentially hit the target more accurately.

2. Is there a specific velocity that works best for winning at amusement park games?

There is no one specific velocity that guarantees a win at amusement park games. It ultimately depends on the game and your own skill level. Experiment with different velocities to see what works best for you.

3. Are there any tips for adjusting my velocity in amusement park games?

One tip for adjusting your velocity in amusement park games is to aim for the middle of the target. This gives you more room for error and can increase your chances of hitting the target with varying velocities.

4. Can varying velocities also work for games that involve throwing balls or darts?

Yes, varying velocities can work for games that involve throwing balls or darts. By adjusting the speed and force of your throws, you can control the trajectory and potentially hit the target more accurately.

5. Are there any other factors besides varying velocities that can help me win at amusement park games?

Yes, there are other factors that can help you win at amusement park games such as practicing your aim, using proper technique, and staying focused. Varying velocities can be a helpful tool, but it is not the only factor in winning at these games.