Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

VASP versus quantum ESPRESSO

1. Feb 11, 2010 #1
    Guys, I have a questiom. Which do you think is better to use when it comes to ab initio quantum calculations the VASP code or the ESPRESSO code. I am a beginner in computational physics and I would like to know the difference. If you can help me in that, I would more than grateful.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2010 #2
    I don't use either (I use LAPW method), but their both plane-wave / pseudopotential codes. I think that VASP is supposed to have a bit more bells and whistles (which may be of help since you say that you're a newbie). The upside to ESPRESSO (or PWscf) is that it's free.

Maybe you would want to take a look at abinit as it's also free.

4. Feb 14, 2010 #3
    I've also heard from some colleagues that VASP is much faster than ESPRESSO but I did not test this myself.
    If you need technical support, so probably VASP is the way to go.

5. Feb 15, 2010 #4
    Thanks a lot guys. I am trying to reproduce some results.I will try using ESPRESSO.. I am trying to implement the Tight binding model...Is there anywhere I can look at that can help me in doing that?

Thanks again

6. Feb 25, 2010 #5
    VASP also has some of the "best" USPP and PAW pseudopotentials made. They converge really well with plane-wave cutoff energy. I can't say the same for other plane-wave codes like CASTEP.

modey3

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook